My intro: New tank (with pictures!) - a few questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I've recently gotten into the fish hobby. It all started when my girlfriend got a little 5.5 gallon tank and I had to take care of them over a long weekend.. lets just say my curiousity got the best of me, and I spent most of the weekend researching/purchasing things for them. I quickly found out that the little 5.5 gallon was horribly overstocked and improperly taken care of.
Over the past month or so, we moved our fish into a beautiful 20 gallon home, which is currently in its 3rd week of cycling (unfortunately with all of our fish still in it - we had no other choice).
BUT, I couldn't stop there - I wanted a tank of my own to take care of :) So I ended up buying myself a 20 gallon with all of the fixins about a week and a half ago. Once the water quality was adequate and after much more research, I decided to go the old fashioned way and cycle the tank with a few hearty fish, enter my three Zebra Danios, who currently seem very happy in their home.
Here's a quick shot of the tank:

JackieFishies.JPG

Though its hard to tell from the picture, there IS more than ample free swimming space for them - the plants look like they are taking up more room than they are.

So that's where I'm at now, day 3 of the cycle, hopefully only a few more weeks to go - all of the tank's levels are where they should be thus far, three zebra danios are the only inhabitants, and will remain the only ones until the tank is fully cycled.

A couple quick questions:
1) I am using a MarineLand Penguin filter with a BioWheel. Happy so far, especially since Danios like moving water, but my noobie question is, what does the grey lever half way up the intake (very visible in the picture, right about in the middle) do? I have it set halfway open to be safe, but I'm still not sure what it does exactly. The filter's directions weren't exactly the best.
2) Fish stock question. I am not absolutely set on anything, but my intentions were to try and do a "nice" (I know NONE are "nice") smaller sized freshwater puffer fish (Figure Eight or South American) and a clown (or similar) Pleco, just because I very much enjoy these fish, find them both fascinating, and think they would be great to have as "stars" of the tank. I know the Pleco won't be a problem, as Clowns only get a few inches and are community friendly, but I am unsure about the puffer. I've done quite a bit of research - I know they're fin nippers, and I know a little about their teeth, and I know they aren't the easiest to feed, but to me it sounds very doable if I take the time to do it right. So, I wanted to get some input on the puffer fish idea first of all (in terms of how to feed them properly, difficulty etc.), and secondly wanted to ask what other fish would be good to keep with an aggressive fish like a puffer. I bought the Danios with the intention of being able to keep them with a puffer, since they have short fins and are very fast, and I highly doubt a puffer and an adult Pleco would tangle much. Any ideas on other fish that could live happily in this setting?
Keep in mind I have every intention to upgrade within the next 6-8 months to at least a 30/40 gallon tank
3) This question is related to the one above - SNAILS. If I were to keep a puffer, I've read they need snails in their diet to keep their teeth ground down. How do you feed fish snails? Do you have to breed them seperately? I've hear horror stories of them taking over people's tanks. Any info about snails would be great.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as soon as I post this, but thanks for reading so far! Sorry it was so long :)

Oh, and BTW, I did a lot of my research at http://freshaquarium.about.com/ - I found it to be an absolutely fantastic resource, and wanted to share the link with you all. There's also a SaltWater division.

Hey Corey, don't have much to say to answer your questions since I'm pretty much a noob too, BUT . . . I live on the other side of Lansing (Grand Ledge) and I can tell you this is a great place to get your answers. I started out large . . . 55 Gal. tank I aquired from a friend who was moving and didn't want to mess with it anymore, however, for live knowledgeable people to talk to as well . . . don't you DARE miss out on Preuss Animal House over there on your side of town. 2119 Haslett Rd. (517) 339-1762 They can be a little pricey, but they really do know what they are talking about. Welcome to AA! (My name is Eric and I'm a Fishaholic :lol: . . . .sorry, couldn't resist the AA reference)

By the way, the urge to have many aquariums gets referred to in here as MTS or Multiple Tank Syndrome . . . seems there are many sufferers in here. Two months ago I had no tanks, now I have 4. The disease progresses very rapidly.

I second Preuss. I love them. I live in Howell, but I work in Lansing. They're fish are awesome and most of them are bred by one of the guys there, so they're not shipping in or anything (this is the freshwater at least, I doubt he does the salt). My only complaint is that they're crazy expensive compared to other fishstores. I also know a really good one over closer to pontiac and one in white lake I also highly recommend. the White Lake one is on the smaller side, but they always have great fish.

Thanks for the replies guys - I bought a large majority of my aquarium at Preuss :) I love it, because they're so knowledgable, and its literally 5 minutes from me (I live on MSU's campus). I'm in there several times a week, and everytime I go, I have to spend at least an hour gawking at all the fish - it makes me want to try a saltwater tank SO BAD! But I need some freshwater experience under my belt first.
Expensive, yes - but I like the peace of mind that the fish they sell are probably not diseased, and have been appropriately cared for. And they have cool fish :)

Hey fellow Michiganders :) I'm a new member here since aquariacentral's server crapped out and I need to get my fish forum fix.

Corey, that grey piece on the filter intake is a flow controller, to reduce the water flow during feedings and such. I don't know for certian how it works because I returned my Penguin before putting it in water, but I do recall reading that's what it's for. As for puffers, I can't help you there because I don't really know anything about them.

Now, my other (selfish) reason for posting here is that I wanted to ask you guys about Preuss. I'm thinking about making a trip out there to stock my tank when I'm done cycling. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I visited their site and noticed that in the freshwater fish section they mention carrying a wide variety of rainbowfish which is my main reason for wanting to go there. The centerpiece fish of my new tank is going to be a small school of dwarf neon rainbows (Melanotaenia praecox) and I was curious if any of you happened to have noticed these while browsing there. I kind of need to know if they have them before I trek out there from the Flint area. I planned on calling the store and asking, but haven't gotten around to it yet, so I thought I'd ask you guys first. If you don't know, it's no biggie, but I just thought I'd ask, plus I thought I might be able to be of some help with the filter question.

Can't say for sure if they have them or not, enrom, but if anybody knows where you can get them, they do, and I'd trust their sources in a heartbeat. Even if they don't have them, they are still well worth the hour trip down from Flint just to check them out. That may just be me since my in-laws are up there in Flushing and I make that trip about every other weekend, so its nothing to me.

I've never noticed either, but be sure and check out the Stingray on the right in the low, huge tank as you walk into the fish area. THAT'S a cool fish :)

main reason for wanting to go there. The centerpiece fish of my new tank is going to be a small school of dwarf neon rainbows (Melanotaenia praecox)

I was there about 2 weekends ago and I think I remember seeing a tank with several dwarf rainbows. I'd still call just to be sure they have the amount that you are looking for. I could spend all day in that store just looking at fish.

Aquatic gardens 824 Tittabawassee, Saginaw normally has dwarf rainbows. 989 752-5459

Corey said:
2) Fish stock question. I am not absolutely set on anything, but my intentions were to try and do a "nice" (I know NONE are "nice") smaller sized freshwater puffer fish (Figure Eight or South American)
>>>>
So, I wanted to get some input on the puffer fish idea first of all (in terms of how to feed them properly, difficulty etc.), and secondly wanted to ask what other fish would be good to keep with an aggressive fish like a puffer. I bought the Danios with the intention of being able to keep them with a puffer, since they have short fins and are very fast, and I highly doubt a puffer and an adult Pleco would tangle much. Any ideas on other fish that could live happily in this setting?
>>>>
3) This question is related to the one above - SNAILS. If I were to keep a puffer, I've read they need snails in their diet to keep their teeth ground down. How do you feed fish snails? Do you have to breed them separately? I've hear horror stories of them taking over people's tanks. Any info about snails would be great.

Figure eights aren't really freshwater puffers. They would prefer a 'light brackish' environment. (SG about 1.07-1.10). Both species will nip at any fish they can catch unaware. It may take a while, but IMO eventually they would kill danios, bite by bite. For tankmates, look for something bigger than the puffer, but not big enough to eat them. Whatever you do, don't end up getting a green spot puffer, as they need more marine conditions, get much bigger, and aren't very tolerant of other fish.

Puffers need hard crunchy things to eat, or their teeth will overgrow and make it difficult for them to eat. Besides snails, they love small crabs, shrimp and worms. I have a system that's been working for me for a few years -
In an old cooler, place 2 pounds of topsoil, 1 pound of used coffee grounds, and 1 pound of poultry grit. Stir it up well, and dump about 3 dozen earthworms in. Keep dead leaves on top and spray it down with water once a month or so. Every week I dump a teaspoon or so of quality flake fish food in for the worms to eat. In a short while you'll have a worm colony that's full of very gritty soil that does wonders for puffer teeth. Breeding snails is no longer necessary.

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability

-its good that you are only using 3 fish to cycle... although fishless cycling is the way to go because the ammonia and nitrItes can permanently damage a fish's gills and interfere with their respirations.. have you checked out the AA articles on the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2
Also ... your tank may cycle in 2 weeks.. and it may cycle in 2 months. when i first started i cycled with fish it took me 3 months to finally get those nitrites to drop to ZERO.. what test kit are you currently using and what are your parameters???

-puffers... puffers are generally a species only fish. Although you may think the danios are fast enough that puffer can tear them apart at night when they 'sleep'. It may go ok for a week.. it may go ok for a month. Then one day you could wake up to find a slaughter. :? sad but true. Its best if you want to do a puffer tank to make the 20 gallon dwarf puffers ONLY (i think they are the only ones that are pure freshwater) and you could do quite a few puffers in there i believe but im not sure.. maybe someone else could chime in on that.
EDIT---just saw the guy above me answered about puffers and seems to know a lot more.. sorry :oops:

- Since you already have the danios id suggest you do a nice community setup of some nice colorful fish. A dwarf gourami could be a nice centerpiece fish.. maybe once you get stabilized you could even try some German blue rams (beautiful fish). I wouldn't buy any fish that get to big, becuase even though you plan to upgrade you never know what could come up and you may not be able to get that bigger tank in time.. so always work with what you have. www.liveaquaria.com has some good species profiles and AA has a profile forum as well... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=26
Good fish for a 20 gallon IMO (well my favorites anyway):
cory catfish
guppies
platies
bristlenose plecos
clown plecos
oto cats
small loaches (not clown!)
Tetras!!!!
Dwarf gouramis
rams

-sounds like everything else is doing good and btw the tank looks awesome. Have fun and ask lots of questions.. this is a great place for info~

Thanks again for all the replies!
I'm not disagreeing, but I've been coming across a lot of conflicting information regarding the Figure Eight/South American puffer water preferences. At this link,

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/brackish_water/puffer_figure_eight.htm

it appears there are quite a few puffers who live in strictly freshwater, and the woman who writes for the aquarium section at About.com claims that her Figure Eights did best in full freshwater. Yet, at most fish forums, everyone says they are all brackish but dwarfs... I'm not exactly sure what to think. I was under the impression that many derived from fully freshwater lakes, particularly the South American ones (the one I'd get I think if I were to get one).

Regarding other fish, I started researching some Cichlids today - I've found that I quite like the idea of a Bolivian Ram, Pelvicachromis pulcher, or/and a Six-bar Lamprologus, as they all seem to be quite small and community friendly. Any input on those fish?

As for testing, I am using the 5-in-one strips, which I'm sure many will scold, along with an Aquarium Pharmecuticals ammonia test kit. Surprisingly, the strips have so far been extremely close to what the LFS gets for their reults when they test my water, so I intend to use them at least until they are all gone.

Freshwater won't outright kill a figure eight puffer. It just can't fight disease and parasites from a freshwater envrionment as well as it can in a brackish. Clamped fins and battles with ich are a pretty sure death sentence for them in a freshwater tank. If you deside to try it, just keep close tabs on things and keep a small bag of instant ocean handy just in case.

As for your others, I'm not very informed about the rams (or any new world cichlids for that matter), so I'll stay quiet about those. :lol:

P. pulcher - these are common Kribensis or Kribs you'll see in most any pet shop. Easy to sex, keep only 1 pair in a tank unless it's 30+ gallons. Lots of caves and rocky ledges for them to hide/spawn in. Even if you don't want to raise babies, they will still breed if kept correctly. Water should be slightly acidic (6.5 -7.0 pH) and not too hard. Likely what comes out of your tap is going to work once to adjust the pH. When spawning, they get pretty feisty, so other tankmates need to be hardy.

Neolamprologus sexfasciatus - Six-bar chiclids. Need Very hard alkaline water (pH 8.5-9.0). You'll need Tanganyika Buffer solution to keep these fish healthy. Keep them in a tank with a medium grain sand substrate, with shells to live in. One shell for each fish at least! Best way to start is 1 male and 3-4 females, cause they will spawn and babies will survive. They get nippy, and aren't afraid to harass other bigger fish. These are very hardy fish and a really fun to watch. Like little bulldozers who like to bicker with each other. Highly recommended fish for a beginners cichlid, as well as for anyone else.

And all-in-one strips? Thank Goodness for them!!!! I use them all the time, only breaking out the reagant test kits when something doesn't look right.

Thanks Jerry!
As for the Cichlids, I'm not sure that I would want to keep anymore than two due to my tank size, as they get ~4-5" (I think), so if the 6-bars need to be in numbers, they're probably not a good choice. Also, with water that hard/alkaline, wouldn't that greatly limit my tankmate options?
Sounds like a pair of Bolivians may be a good chocie for me for my "centerpiece" - the puffer sounds as though it may be a bit too much work.

On a completely random sidenote, are brackish stingrays legal?
Once I get some experience with freshwater, I think a big brackish tank could be awesome - three of my favorite fish are bracksih (Rays, puffers and Archers) :)

Uh oh... early stage MTS already 8O

When you get your water hard and alkaline enough for lake Tanganyika cichlids, it's pretty much only fit for lake Tanganyika cichlids :D

No idea about stingrays, but sure sounds interesting!

Good luck with your rams, would love to see some pics once its setup.

The thing with that one web page ... aquariumfish.net i have found a lot of conflicting info on that page and i tend to rely on evidence based scientific fact. I read tons of sources and then derive my own conclusions.. never rely on just the one source. And you need to look at where that source got their sources.. do they list their sources? are their sources legetiment? About.com is just people writing articles and not always verified. Look up the fish in an encyclopedia and see what it says... or a marine biology book at the library.

Also a lot of people on this forum not only are aquarist but a lot of the advisors have degrees in zoology and such which is why you can rely on their info. Most of the advisors will even tell you their credintials if you ask.. or have them in their signature.

Back
Top Bottom