My Lucky Tadpoles~Going to change to 29g Diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannonredburn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody.
I just bought the biggest tank I've ever owned off of some really cool people on craigslist.
Why?
'Cause my poor littles tadpoles' tank busted!
So, I have been checking out a whole bunch of the planted diaries on here and I was impressed with the dedication and love that you can see in the wonderful works of art that you are producing.
Between the big new tank and all of the love I see here I thought I would do my own diary.I was going to do a low-water level, lots of rock and maybe a waterfall quick slap together project. One of my tadpoles now has front legs and they need hopping space quick! But:

My lfs had BUNCHED PLANTS 10 FOR $20!!!

So I spent like $80 on new plants and a 20lb bag of eco-complete and combined with what I could salvage from my old tank I think i have to post pics.

Just to include:
-it's been up and running for less then 24 hours at this point.
-the filter is the same one I had on my 10g and so is the lighting. I am going to ad some bubblers in the back corners for improved circulation and some diy co2s in a couple of days

Attachments

• hpim0601_723.jpg
    hpim0601_723.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 47
  • hpim0602_946.jpg
    hpim0602_946.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 46
  • hpim0603_134.jpg
    hpim0603_134.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 51
  • hpim0600_121.jpg
    hpim0600_121.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 53
The plants look very nice.

You are going to inject CO2 I see (read :D). You are going to have to make some changes inorder for the CO2 to work correctly. The water level is to low and the filter will just off gas the CO2 as the water cascades into the tank. Also the bubblers will have to go as they will do the same as the filter.

How much light do you have?

The water level I kept low to help the filter get some more water flow into the corner. Taking a hob from a ten gallon and trying to get the water flowing in all of the corners is not easy. The power of gravity gives the water coming out some more oooomph. I wanted to wait until my next payday to get the bigger filter/pump, but I wasn't sure if the tadpoles would be happy without the movement and lack of oxygen. The poor things were in a bucket for about a week and mama that I am, i worried over them a bunch. I am gonna raise the water level with the new filter and do the co2 then. 'Coarse I should ask, do you think I am gonna need a bigger filter and more movement? I do want to get some small fish in here, but can't afford to yet.

I can forget the bubblers, and any advice with the co2 is appreciated, I've never run a tank this big, and this planted. And the dynamics of a 29 g planted are allot different from a 10g.Any advice is appreciated!!

The plants have been in there less then 48 hours and already some of them have an inch worth of growth, most of them have new leaves on the stems and I can barely see through to the back like I could yesterday!! :D I am so excited!!! :D

In addition to the light below it gets alot of indirect light from a western facing window it's near, and about an hour of direct sun. I'm not sure if it offsets the lack of overhead light, but I thought it would help some of the higher light plants I've got in there.

To edit: I raised the water level till just under the output. There is more surface movement, but almost none in the bottom corners.

Attachments

• hpim0606_208.jpg
    hpim0606_208.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 50
after 2 weeks 1 day, and still not the best camera...

Attachments

• hpim0642_887.jpg
    hpim0642_887.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 48
  • hpim0644_152.jpg
    hpim0644_152.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 54
SO, not enough of the tadpoles are surviving. I started with about 200 eggs and we are down to 6 frogs and about 10-15 tadpoles. Such is the nature of tadpoles, only the strong survive. I am going to put them in a 10g.
Which leaves me with a 29g, planted, and the only thing in it are snails, and arbino cory, and a kuli loach.

Oooh, the possibilities.....

Back
Top Bottom