My moving anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Over the past few days my carpet nem has been hiding behind the rockwork. Went to check out the tank today a couple hours after the lights came on and he reappeared at the top of the rock. He was sitting on top of my pagoda cup. Cup is moved and all is well. Think I need to change my bulbs? Is he looking for higher light? I have an 8 bulb t5ho that I dont know how old the bulbs are. Here is a picture before and after the move:

Here he is on the bottom right:
img_2048499_0_4f39ba60c2b9dbb6de23847261b453c9.jpg

Here he is on top of my pagoda cup:
img_2048499_1_69c7abed14c17b1972441248d7dfc151.jpg

img_2048499_2_4fe8fc451926ef5e03b11739b4747e95.jpg

Here is the new locations for both:
img_2048499_3_51affb96cafca8e9e82da6e56d58386e.jpg

img_2048499_4_0eb515907d29dd9d7efe934c2fd5c963.jpg

Could be looking for more light, or a different flow pattern.
How long have you been using the bulbs?
Are you noticing any nuisance algae?

Yeah anemones move if there is something they don't like about their current location.

Could be looking for more light, or a different flow pattern.
How long have you been using the bulbs?
Are you noticing any nuisance algae?

I have used the bulbs for about 3 months. I bought them used though, so i dont know how old they are. Looks like I need to change them out. 8 bulbs is pretty pricey though. May be a couple weeks. My acros are doing great though. Maybe its a flow issue. There is definitely more flow where it is now. No algae in there. I just swapped out the tank a couple weeks ago.

spoonman said:
I have used the bulbs for about 3 months. I bought them used though, so i dont know how old they are. Looks like I need to change them out. 8 bulbs is pretty pricey though. May be a couple weeks. My acros are doing great though. Maybe its a flow issue. There is definitely more flow where it is now. No algae in there. I just swapped out the tank a couple weeks ago.

Could just be a flow issue, but if you bought the unit used, and have used it 3 months, odds are the bulbs are ready for a change, or will be soon. Better to know for sure.
I here you on the price...I've got 20 3 footers on my set-up. I'm trying to go LED, before my next bulb change. Just the bulbs runs me $360+, that's 2 of the cheaper LED's right there.

Thats what i was thinking. 8 bulbs at about $20 each is $160. I think for $220 I can get LED's. Maybe I will save the money and just go LED's eventually. I do think it is the flow though. I added 2 additional powerheads when I swapped out the tank. The acro's at the top seem happier, my pagoda cup seems happier and the nem moved up there. Hopefully it was just flow and he will be happy now where he is. I assume with a 75 gallon tank I would need two LED fixtures, right?

Yeah, 2 fixtures... I've seen the Taotronics on CL for $170 apiece, I think they were even the dimmables.

Flreefer said:
Yeah, 2 fixtures... I've seen the Taotronics on CL for $170 apiece, I think they were even the dimmables.

If acros are doin fine id say flow

I think I will stick with the lights for now, but start saving for LED's. Kinda worries me that alot of people are finding them too bright. Doesn't make sense to me to put them on and then have to dim them.

Back
Top Bottom