My new 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lazylahma

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all I am an avid aquarist who is getting back into the hobby after a small tank break disaster. I just purchased a new 55 gallon tank and am looking for some stocking opinions

First things first the tank itself has not been started yet I'm just writing up my plan of attack on this soon to be beautiful living room center piece but my plans for the tank are as follows...

Going back to gravel have always used sand but don't really feel like dealing with it this time around

I have an aquatop cf-400uv filter I know it's quite large for this tank but I used to run it on my 65 gallon and it works wonders

Once I get the replacement parts for my filter I still have to set up and cycle tank before adding fish but I'm thinking semi aggressive here is some of what I've been thinking for stock (completely open to opinions here)

2-3 bala sharks(kind of worried they may get to large for a 55g?)
6-8 tiger barbs
3-4 silver dollars
2 dwarf gourami

And for the clean up crew
2 small L series pleco(any suggestions for interesting ones)
Handful of corys and ottos
Possibly a butterfly loach if I can find one at the lfs(love those little goofballs)

Give me your suggestions for fish that would go well in this setup like I said were just in the planning phase right now so anything goes

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't do a butterfly loach, they require incredibly specialized setups. And bala sharks will definitely outgrow a 55

Hello all I am an avid aquarist who is getting back into the hobby after a small tank break disaster. I just purchased a new 55 gallon tank and am looking for some stocking opinions

First things first the tank itself has not been started yet I'm just writing up my plan of attack on this soon to be beautiful living room center piece but my plans for the tank are as follows...

Going back to gravel have always used sand but don't really feel like dealing with it this time around

I have an aquatop cf-400uv filter I know it's quite large for this tank but I used to run it on my 65 gallon and it works wonders

Once I get the replacement parts for my filter I still have to set up and cycle tank before adding fish but I'm thinking semi aggressive here is some of what I've been thinking for stock (completely open to opinions here)

2-3 bala sharks(kind of worried they may get to large for a 55g?)
6-8 tiger barbs
3-4 silver dollars
2 dwarf gourami

And for the clean up crew
2 small L series pleco(any suggestions for interesting ones)
Handful of corys and ottos
Possibly a butterfly loach if I can find one at the lfs(love those little goofballs)

Give me your suggestions for fish that would go well in this setup like I said were just in the planning phase right now so anything goes

Thanks for the help!

Like stated, balas will get to big as well as silver dollars as they can grow dinner plate sizes. Tiger barbs are also demons and have high chance of bulling everything. Also like stated, butterfly loaches are special and require cool/ mountain stream conditions. Also be careful with the grade of gravel as it could damage the corys barbs.

How about a school of red eye or serape tetras (at least 6-7). Like maybe two pair of German blue Rams and about 6 albino Cory or leopard cats and 6 nerite snails. Rams need a well cycled tank

Back
Top Bottom