My Plants are Pearling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcutl002

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am such an idiot. For 2 years I have always run my CO2 system at or about 1 BBS and had green, lush plants; but because of algae starting to gain a foothold - I upped my CO2 to about 3 BBS. After a few days I noticed excessive bubbles in the tank. I was originally thinking my CO2 was outta whack and overloading the tank, but Nooooo! Those bubbles were coming from the plant Leaves in almost a steady stream! I did not think it was possible with my setup! It is sooooo cool!

I'm running a 4X54W T5HO light on a 55 gallon with an El Cheapo Red Sea CO2 Pro System.

Sounds nice! I'm running about the same thing on my 55g but my current is too high for the plants to pearl properly.

Usually a five pound bottle will last about eleven months, but I'm probably looking at about three or four now. That's okay I guess. As far as current goes, I have an Eheim classic 2215 which has pretty good current. I also just ordered a 3-way manifold so I can hook up two more tanks. I'm gonna need a bigger CO2 bottle!

Plants Pearling

I am such an idiot. For 2 years I have always run my CO2 system at or about 1 BBS and had green, lush plants; but because of algae starting to gain a foothold - I upped my CO2 to about 3 BBS. After a few days I noticed excessive bubbles in the tank. I was originally thinking my CO2 was outta whack and overloading the tank, but Nooooo! Those bubbles were coming from the plant Leaves in almost a steady stream! I did not think it was possible with my setup! It is sooooo cool!

I'm running a 4X54W T5HO light on a 55 gallon with an El Cheapo Red Sea CO2 Pro System.

Hello dc...

You must have quite a bit of oxygen mixed in the tank water. So much, that the plants are needing to rid themselves of the excess. That's what "Pearling" is. It's simply the plants way of removing excess oxygen.

Remember, oxygen drives off CO2, so you don't want too much mixed into the tank water or you create an unfavorable environment for your plants.

B

Maybe I should go to 2 BBS? I was trying to starve the algae initially. I also noticed that my nitrates went way down. I was struggling around 60ppm, but now since i started boosting the CO2 I am about 10-15 ppm.

Last edited:
Not at all. It sounds like you are in the sweet spot. The plants pearl because they are prooducing o2 faster than it can dissolve in the water. This can only happen when ther is enough co2 in the water to continuously feed the plants. When the plants pearl they are indeed saturating the water with o2 but that isn't driving off co2 in any measurable amount.

Not at all. It sounds like you are in the sweet spot. The plants pearl because they are prooducing o2 faster than it can dissolve in the water. This can only happen when ther is enough co2 in the water to continuously feed the plants. When the plants pearl they are indeed saturating the water with o2 but that isn't driving off co2 in any measurable amount.

I appreciate it. I have always had low light setups until three years ago when I started CO2 injection. For some reason, I just started with 1 BBS. The plants were green, but they never "pearled". I have two more tanks that I am going to introduce CO2 to. One is a 55 gallon and the other is a hex. I purchased a 3-way manifold, tubing, bubble counters and 2 atomizers from GLA. I went with GLA because I heard the needle valves on their manifolds were pretty good. But, the bottom line is: I am always learning something NEW in this hobby. I just want to thank everyone for sharing their experience and expertise.

Back
Top Bottom