My platty disappeared!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luis_j

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I have a 15 gallon tank, I've had it for four weeks already. Currently, I'm doing a fish-in cycling. I have 3 julli cory catfish, 1 dwarf gourami, and 2 red plattys. First, I think my gourami is dying because is barely fswimming and I also have a decoration in my tank in which the dwarf has not left, not even when I feed the other fish. Since my ammonia is high, I decided to do a water change (which I been doing every other day). For me to make sure the dwarf was still alive, I decided to move the decoration to make sure he was not dead. When I moved the decoration, he swam away to a different place, in which I was relief to see him alive! But then I noticed the dwarf is just sitting on a plant (he's not moving, barely moving his fins) it seems that he is slowly dying. So I don't know if I should take him out of the tank and tried to treat him or just leave him there. Then, when I started putting in the new water, I noticed that one of my plattys has disappeared! She's no where to be found! I moved some of the decorations again to see if she was hiding somewhere, but she's gone. I have sand in my tank. I know I'm not supposed to be moving the decorations, but I had to due to the fact that I thought one of my fish was dead and did not want him to leave him there and decay.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

What are you parameters? Are you using strips or liquid test kits? What do you see when you look at your DG? Try posting a picture of him. Look in every spot you can find for the platy. It's possible it died and the body is stuck behind something.

That's a lot of fish to cycle in a 15 gallon. I used 8 platies in a 60 gallon last year and ammonia would rise to the danger zone in about a day. I would do a 30% change daily, if not more. It will slow down the cycle but will save you from having to treat fish. I would take the dwarf out and put him in another tank, unfortunately he wont survice much longer in that tank with ammonia. so i would put him in a separate tank or something if you don't have another empty tank, don't feed him. And change the water constantly and maybe he could bounce back. I ammonia is still high ij the 15 gallon, do a 50% water change and test again, if it is still to high, do another water change... repeat until the ammonia is minuscule.

My DG survived 8 ppm ammonia. They're not super sensitive fish. Once we figure out what's wrong, then decide if he needs moved. Unless he's bloated, there's no reason not to feed him. Post a picture of him and tell us your water parameters. Then we'll decide what needs done.

Back
Top Bottom