My poor guppies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah that kinda sucks because I told them what size tank I had too SMH. Honestly I don't think half the people there know any more than I do, that's why I came here because they couldn't even identify the algae bloom in the water

How's it all looking now?

Another possible reason for your guppy having a hunched back is fish tb, and I would recommend quarantining her immediately.

Unless things have changed.

Yeah she died. So did one other guppy but he looked fine yesterday. I took my big pleco to the store but I'm still fighting that algae in the water. Pet store said all my levels were great so idk what the problem is or how else to get rid of the algae. I've been doing 30% water changes every few days with no light except when I feed them and it looks better but still not great

Did the pet store check your water with strips or liquid test?
Would highly recommend that you get the api freshwater master test kit and test the water yourself.

Many times lfs will say "water is ok" when it's not. The test kit will last a long time and then you can truly keep an eye on the water conditions.

One of the most important tool for fishkeeper, otherwise you're (or us) just guessing. [emoji6]

They used the liquid test for it but maybe I'll have to get my own then. The strips suck, that's what I have now

Next time you go the store, get your water tested again, and ask them the actual numbers. Or to see the vials and get the numbers yourself.

You can clear the algae, but if you don't know why it's there in the first place, it'll probably keep coming back.

Do you have any live plant?
If not, can you get a bunch of something like Elodea (pond weed) to throw in there? That'll compete with the algae for nutrients in the water and help choke it out.
Pwc every day will help remove it quicker.

What's in the tank now?
How's everyone else doing?

I'm sorry about your fish :(

I was just reading a book by Karen A. Randall and her comments for green water is pwc won't really make a dent in the issue, it will keep coming back. You need to do a pwc and then black out with a blanket & no food (feed them before you put the blanket on) for fish either for 3 days and "no peeking" she says.

Well nobody else is dead today so that's a plus. They seem to be doing ok I guess, active and eating but so was the one I found dead yesterday. I don't have any live plants, I never had them before and this is the first time I've ever had algae in the actual water as opposed to on the plants and glass where there is none

Aww poor babies, I feel so bad for them. I guess I'll try that since they hardly have any light anyway. I'm going to miss them for 3 days though lol

Back
Top Bottom