My pumping Xeina's are growing on my Glass!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

About a month or so ago I pur a small 2-stalk rock of Pumping Xeina's in my tank, Since than it has grown 3 additional stalks 1 of which is attached to the glass!!

I didn't know they'd attach to the glass!?!?!

I am going to have to start thinking about fragging this guy out, as it is just growing soo fast.

If I remember reading right, I can just pull a stock off the rock, and rubberband it to a piece of LR rubble for a few days untill it re attaches?

Can you glue it to the rock? or is that only for hard corals?

thanks all..

-TheChad

Attachments

• 104_1483_105.jpg
    104_1483_105.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 29
I don't know about gluing a softy like that...that is a beautiful coral...you could always send me a frag!!!! As far as growing on things it will grow on just about any surface it can get ahold of!!! I would love a peice of that coral!! I think they are usually just placed in a low flow area on a rock and they will attach themselves to it....I've not had the problem of them growing like you do...sure would like a piece of that coral....HTHs

hehehe

That is beautifully colored xenia. I keep xenia only on my glass, it's easy to keep it in check there. Removing it from rock is just about impossible without removing and scrubbing the rock. And as you see it grows very fast. It can become a nuisance and start over taking the tank/rock work if not kept in check.
Can you glue it to the rock? or is that only for hard corals?
Gluing softies is difficult. I'd use a rubberband or tooth pick to stabilize it. HTH

Gosh, do you think maybe Ziggy is hinting for a frag? lol.

It is a gorgeous coral.

Ziggy953 said:
Well...I would certainly love to have a piece of that!!!!!!

It Could be arranged!

It's growing fast, and I'm going to have to frag it, So I might as well share the love.

I just need to figure out where to get small LR rubble to attach them to.

-TheChad

xenia is so light and thin, you could probably just get a stalk that would allow you to rubberband it to a rock. I have done this with good results. They attach quicker than most corals, IMO.

Xenia is a horrible shipper so it is hard to sell unless you are close. I have 2 different species and I am having trouble gettng rid of it. Mine grows on the overflow and makes it real easy to frag.

I have not had any luck fragging my xenia. It pretty much turns to mush and you can not work with it. It does like to climb, I suggest putting some larger pieces of LR rubble next to the xenia and let it climb onto the rock itself. It is the best way I have found to move parts of the colony.

lando said:
I have not had any luck fragging my xenia. It pretty much turns to mush and you can not work with it. It does like to climb, I suggest putting some larger pieces of LR rubble next to the xenia and let it climb onto the rock itself. It is the best way I have found to move parts of the colony.

I am going to contact my LFS and see if they will buy frags from me. I don't know how much their worth?

If worst comes to worst I guess I can just pull stocks off to keep it colony thined out..

-TheChad

My LFS gives me $10 store credit for each rock with xenia on it. They turn round and sell it $25.

You can buy rubble rock or some LFS will give you the rubble left over in LR shipments. Sometimes I just take some LR from my sump and smash it up. I have used snail shells that are no longer occupied as well.

ellisz said:
I have used snail shells that are no longer occupied as well.

It's funny you mention this... My Xenia Just grew on top of one of my sleeping hermits, I just noticed it today when I saw the shell under the stalk, after I took a closer look, the hermit was still in the shell. So i had to pull the stalk off the shell and let the hermit free!

It would have been awesome though to see a hermit running around the tank with a big xenia stalk on his back!

-Thechad

The Chad, you can make your own rubble with a hammer and a a screw driver :)

-get a little plastic tupperware and fill it with LR rubble, then you can cut the head off the xenia and put it in the container and set it on your sand bed in low flow to get it to attach. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom