My zebra danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Woaa! Something us wrong with my danio. Looks like something is eating it from the inside out! Got some white scale, blood close to the surface in spots! At times been breathing close to surface and hiding. Don't know what it is. Treating for ich but really don't know.

Here are some pics but hard to see.

Attachments

• image-2084324278.jpg
    image-2084324278.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image-290940566.jpg
    image-290940566.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2877226018.jpg
    image-2877226018.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 108
What are your water parameters and how do you test it (liquid/strips)? Why are you treating for ick, did it have it before this issue came up and how are you doing the ick treatment?

I am testing with an API liquid test kit. These Zebro Danios were bought from a local pet store called Uncle Bills. Parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <5. I tried treating the tank for Ich because that was my guess. What is happening is this fish looks like it has been attacked but nothing has bothered it. It looks like parts of the outside of the skin on the back have fallen off. It's body looks red in areas. If you look in the mouth, it looks redder than normal. I really don't notice white spots but the body kind of looks like the scale has been damaged. I can stop the ich if you think that is meaningless, but it needs some sort of help or it will be dead soon. The other fish in the tank are fine.

Do you think this could be some sort of bacteria? I know there is medicine for that or could it be a parasite?

I am testing with an API liquid test kit. These Zebro Danios were bought from a local pet store called Uncle Bills. Parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <5. I tried treating the tank for Ich because that was my guess. What is happening is this fish looks like it has been attacked but nothing has bothered it. It looks like parts of the outside of the skin on the back have fallen off. It's body looks red in areas. If you look in the mouth, it looks redder than normal. I really don't notice white spots but the body kind of looks like the scale has been damaged. I can stop the ich if you think that is meaningless, but it needs some sort of help or it will be dead soon. The other fish in the tank are fine.

Unless you're seeing white specks on it (like dandruff) which is what ick looks like on fish, I'd suggest stopping the treatment and do a 50% PWC to help refresh the water (clear out meds). Some of what you describe could be ammo issues, but with a 0ppm I'd say probably not.

Here's a link that will help to ID it, but reading thru the page, the closest I could find is Tuberculos - Mycobacteriosis. Take the time too read the different possibilities/symptoms so that you treat for what the fish has rather than guessing is my best suggestion.

Fish Disease and Treatment

Good luck and if yo have more questions, we're here to help and please keep us updated.

I took a nap and when I woke it was dead.

I don't know what happened but I have to move on now. Made me sad I couldn't help the fish. I didn't know what to do. I think many lfs fish get sick.

Back
Top Bottom