Mysterious Clicking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amq

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Every night I hear an odd clicking sound in my tank and I am terrified that it may be a mantis shrimp. The only problem is, I had never heard the noise before I got my clownfish. When I got him, I heard the clicking noise and assumed it was him. Could that be correct, or is it just hopeless dreams? I have had no mysterious deaths yet... well, I have lost a few hermits but their shells have been intact and scattered about, which I THOUGHT would be inconsistent with a mantis, so I just assumed it was natural and then the fish plucked them out or something. A shot in the dark, I know.

Anyways, if this IS infact a mantis shrimp, I have no idea where it is located. Anyone have any means of possibly trapping it?
Many thanks. Keepig my fingers crossed!

All rock was added before the clown. No new rock additions since.

It could be a mantis but keep track of your hermits and if they dwindle down then i say yes. But I had same problem that buged my for months and after many late night i found 2 sources.
1. Ive seen hermits knock on another hermits shell to steal his spot or whatever.
2. I bad unwanted zoo eating crab. He lives in the rock and will carve out his hole for more room or as he grows.

Ive had both.

Clowns will "verbalize". They can make loud clicking noises themselves. Bangaii Cardinals will also do it.

Of course, it could be a mantis too!

If you have a little time one night after lights out you can always set up a trap for a possible mantis shrimp anyway. Lots of people will bait a tilted glass and wait for him. you can also cut off the top 1/3 of a two liter pop container and reattach it in reverse. Bait the container and they can crawl in but can't find their way back out again.

You can also put some colored plastic wrap over a flashlight to dim it so you have something to look in the tank with out scaring all the critters away. May be able to listen for the clicking and try to figure out whats going on with the flash light.

Is it a series of fast clicks or a single click?

It varies. Sometimes there's only a few clicks spaced out and other times there's several clicks sounding a bit more rapidly.

My pistol will click (very loudly) when agitated. I hear a mantis is more of a rapid series of clicks.

Haha, yeah. I actually haven't heard it in a couple of nights...

Back
Top Bottom