Mysterious shrimp death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I recently purchased 6 amano shrimp on the 23rd, and for some unknown reason, one has died. I'm not quite sure how he died, but none of the fish appear ailing in any way, and as far as I can tell, the rest of the shrimp are okay too.

The water is about 75F, and it's a cycled tank. I don't have the water params off-hand, but maybe I can check the sometime tomorrow (I'm very busy tomorrow, but at the latest I can get params on Tuesday).

Last param reading I did was the 25th and I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0-5 nitrate, 7.4pH.

Earlier in the day I noticed I could see all six shrimp for once (at max I usually see 5 together, I was beginning to think one was stuck in a filter), but I also noticed one was a translucent reddish pink. Turns out, that was the one who died later today...

If it helps, I do use seachem flourish once a week after weekly water changes, and I dose a bit of excel every other day.

Pic one is shrimp alive in the tank, pic two is when I pulled it out...

Attachments

• 20150927_154311.jpg
    20150927_154311.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20150927_205154.jpg
    20150927_205154.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 85
I've always failed when it came to shrimp. Finally I let the little fluval spec III run for about 6 months with no inhabitants besides the odd pond snail and plants. And I tried shrimp again and now I even have a couple shrimplets. I really think the problem was lack of biofilm. Newer tanks don't have much but the older established tanks have enough to support the shrimp. I don't know a whole lot about Amano shrimp but it was suggested to me to put leaves and mineral balls in my tank too. Could have been bad stock also. One time I had a shrimp die in the bag on the 30 min drive home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry to hear about the shrimp. One thing that has helped me with new shrimp (or fish) is a lengthy acclimation period. I place the new inhabitants in a clean bucket or smaller container (with the water from the transport bag). The bucket is placed near the main tank or quarantine tank (which ever one they will eventually be going into). I then set up a siphon between the source tank and the bucket using air line tubing and clamps. The clamps are used to regulate the drip rate. I set that at several drops per second. I allow it to drop for at least an hour or so. Afterwards, I net out the newbies and drop them into the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From the pic I'm 99% sure your shrimp have a Bacterial infection . Amano shrimp are clear, as a cherry shrimp is too. But when they get a cloudy center it means they have a bacterial infection. You should separate any that look like this as it can wipe out all your shrimp

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ohh, that's a little unsettling to hear. Is there anything I can do in the future to help prevent this sort of thing? All shrimp were a nice translucent color, and I had a feeling something was wrong when that one started to turn a reddish/pink color.

One of the shrimp is a little brown, but it's overall translucent and still is very active. The brown coloration seems more on its shell and not internally, though. I noticed before the other one died it was very lethargic and had trouble crawling, the remaining 5 shrimp are still very active and forage a lot for algae and other scraps.

Since I do really like the shrimp, I'll probably wait a few months until my tank is a little more mature before buying any others in hopes that the biofilm/algae will help them more. I have been feeding them as well as my other fish some OmegaOne veggie micro pellets, but I've never directly seen them eat any, so I'm not sure if the other fish are stealing them :s

Also, I don't have an air pump, but I did let all 6 shrimp acclimate around 45 minutes to an hour. Would a longer period be recommended for whenever I buy amanos next?

Do you have a source of like a filter?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom