Mystery Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petrichor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure what this little guy is. He hitchhiked underneath a mushroom and macro algae covered rock (I'm aware of the bubble algae which I just saw heh).

The tentacles are thicker at the base than the tips with three rows of them, and it's a brown color with white stripes; about two to three stripes on each tentacle then a white tip. The foot is white-ish or transparent and he's maybe a centimeter and a half tall, less than a centimeter radius.

I've asked my LFS and he said definately not apitasia, but he was unsure about calling it a majano right away. It hasn't moved much except to turn a bit so it's head isn't completely under the rock.

Do peppermint shrimp eat majano if that's what this is?

Attachments

• mojano_anemone_maybe.jpg
    mojano_anemone_maybe.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 175
I've never seen one with stripes, but Google tells me it is so. Guess the stripes just threw me and my LFS off.

Thanks for the help!

That is an aiptasia, get rid of it quick. Get aiptasia-x it worked great for me. But don't wait or you will have a ton, I waited a little to long and there were a lot of these little buggers. If you can, target the ones u can see, then move your LR around( I know its a pain, and if your partial to your aquascape it can be a ***** to reassemble, but its worth it!) Because you more than likely have more than that.

I plan on removing it tomorrow once I get the tools to do so. I finally figured out it's an Aiptasia mutabilis, or a trumpet anemone. I don't see anything saying that this particular species is as invasive as the glass anemones (seems some stores even sell them), but I'll take everyone's experienced words and get it out.

Back
Top Bottom