Mystery death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AssistedDecoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my 200g tank up and running for about 6 months now and I had 22 peacock cichlids. I count them every morning when i feed the to make sure I havent lost any. About a week ago I couldnt find one no matter how hard I looked so I just played it off as them swimming around and me losing count. However this morning I found the bones of my 1st dead fish and have no idea what happened. Tested the water and everything is fine so Im not sure if he decomposed or was eaten as there was no spike in water quality. Do peacocks eat other dead peacocks? Was he dead and stuck somewhere and I just couldnt see him? Any one able to shed some light?

4 ob
2 jacobfreibergi
1 electric blue
1 blue orchid
2 german red
2 albino somethings
2 strawbery
1 yellow something
3 lemon jake
1 Sulfurhead
1 red should
2 unsure (colorless)

Half (the non-dominant ones) have lost most of color so im not to sure what 1 I have lost. When I have more time tomorrow I plan on doing a checklist to see if I can pinpoint who has passed.

Aggression most likely. Your tank is under stocked. Go with at least 40 cichlids to spread out aggression. You could even go with 60 if you have a bunch of filtration. Over stock and over filtrate is the key to balancing aggression.

Do 50% weekly water changes to keep the tank healthy as well. Cichlids are a lot of work then allot of people think. Good luck!

The goal was about 40, I think 60 would be a little to much for the set up I have. But as far as maintenance I do good on staying on top of it. Just have to do what im doing then and continue getting a few every paycheck.

Filtration wise i have an eheim pro 2 and a good size sump with LOTS of bio filter material.

Back
Top Bottom