Mystery deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snail87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My snails are checking out one by one. I did a 50% water change a week ago, and accidentally started a bacterial bloom. After that, I lost 3 of my four snails, and a massive amount of their offspring. Can anyone help? Should I do maybe a 10% change? The water is starting to smell like dead fish.

Hmmm I'm not quite sure without knowing what your water perimeters are but mete the big wc could have shocked them due to inadequate ph/temp? But make sure you remove any dead snails the moment you see then or you will have a major amonia spike

(dead snails are the worst smell in fw aquaria)

There are about 100+ snails in the tank. All are pea size and smaller. I can't find them all. Would I be able to balance the ph long enough to let them decompose?

I got a test kit today, the ammonia is 8ppm.... I used ammonia lock on the tank. Anything i'm missing?

I got a test kit today, the ammonia is 8ppm.... I used ammonia lock on the tank. Anything i'm missing?

I'd keep doing large PWCs to get Ammonia down. Dead snails will add to the Ammonia.

Test your tap water. Consider using Prime as your water conditioner. if you can get it. Safe to use up to 5x normal dosage to convert the Ammonia to safer Ammonium.

As long as temperature is similar and PH is somewhat close, it's fine to do large water changes. PH is usually the least of your worries.

Did you change out filter pads ? Rinse them in tap water ? If you haven't that's good. Only rinse filter pads in used tank water or conditioned water.

Net out dead snails. That many snails means perhaps overfeeding ??? Feed lightly or only every other day, till your Ammonia drops.

Thanks for the advice! :) Unfortunately, I did rinse out the filter media in tap water... I added bacteria back in, used water conditioner, and ammonia lock. I'll start sorting the snails today. I feed them once every 16-18hrs.

Back
Top Bottom