Mystery Moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimAnnKitz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I ordered something from eBay that was called "Pearl Moss" and looked gorgeous in the picture. When I receive it from Singapore yesterday (after a very long wait) I got something that looks like the moss that grows in my yard and it was muddy. On the label it was listed as "affine", so I did some research. If I found the right species I have "Plagiomnium affine" which is indeed a moist environment moss and not grown submerged at all. Has anyone every heard of this? What is Pearl Moss? Is it easy to grow. I fell in love with the moss that was pictured and would love to find something like it. I am hesitant to put this moss in any tank and at the moment have it soaking in water. Perhaps I need a pot instead of the aquarium! Any info would be appreciated. :huh:

Not sure about that moss but you should be careful with ordering plants overseas. It's illegal without a license.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=155945

There are plenty of local sources for aquatic mosses. Check the planted tank classifieds.

This is some serious stuff. I would read up on the federal regulations because they don't play around haha. You should know what your getting and definetly never order from overseas unless all terms are properly handles and all regulations are met.

Whatever you do, do not flush this! If you choose to dispose, please seal it in a bag.. That is all.;)

Thank you everyone. I had no idea it was illegal but these guys seem to be big sellers on eBay. I am new to planted tanks, so I guess I didn't know better. Shame on me! Anyway, I will not be ordering for overseas again. Shipping took forever and the plants were low quality. I have found sources in the US for plants...mostly internet because we do not have a LFS. The closest PetSmart is 45 miles away and that's not even a "fish store". I am new to the forum so I will try to figure out how to get pictures from my phone to here and I will also try to get the photo from the eBay posting. I won't just toss the moss out, I will definitely seal it in a bag! Sorry for the stupidity. :hide:

Oh dear! :facepalm: So I went to eBay and was going to share that picture with you...until I noticed that it has a copyright stamp on it. I did finally notice too that the picture says Plagiomnium right on it! Stupid beginner mistake I guess. I can try to get a picture of what I have, but I don't want to post a picture illegally too since I may have bought plants that way. Please, don't anyone come take me away for this! :eek:

Oh dear! :facepalm: So I went to eBay and was going to share that picture with you...until I noticed that it has a copyright stamp on it. I did finally notice too that the picture says Plagiomnium right on it! Stupid beginner mistake I guess. I can try to get a picture of what I have, but I don't want to post a picture illegally too since I may have bought plants that way. Please, don't anyone come take me away for this! :eek:
You aren't stupid.(y) I had the same problems when I first joined aquarium forums. I didn't know that there were even laws about plants until I read someone's thread. This forum helps you a lot with your passion of fishkeeping. Even though I haven't made any friends on this forum (maybe scottyhorse, but not sure), its still a great forum to be on.

Don't be hard on yourself. It was an honest mistake. Luckily you didn't get busted for it. As long as you keep it for yourself, should be fine. Besides, Wikipedia says that Plagiomnium affine is found in N. America (among other places): Plagiomnium affine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you can use it for a riparium or paludarium of sorts.

:oops: Oh dear... Well, you learn something new everyday, right? I think I am about to learn what riparium and paludarium are. I will Google, but is it like a terrarium? :huh::thanks:

You aren't stupid.(y) I had the same problems when I first joined aquarium forums. I didn't know that there were even laws about plants until I read someone's thread. This forum helps you a lot with your passion of fishkeeping. Even though I haven't made any friends on this forum (maybe scottyhorse, but not sure), its still a great forum to be on.
Thank you! I know there will be beginner mistakes. That was the first and last time for that one. I HATED waiting for over 20 days for the plants. I had already found others and really didn't need those anymore. I stuck them in a small aquarium that is cycling. They aren't very nice looking was just some java fern, that crazy moss and a couple of marimos.

Yeah they're similar. Might be perfect for your terrestrial moss. Meanwhile, you can put the moss in a container and plastic wrap the top... keep it humid by spraying water in there. You can give it some light too, until you figure out what to do with it. Moss is quite resilient. I've had moss turn practically brown with very little green then bounce back in lush green.

I was really skeptical of the moss as soon as I realize that the reason it looks so awful was because it was full of mud! What? Mud? Not in my fish tank! I will try to hold it until spring and then maybe try it outside in a pot on my deck. It won't be able to escape...I promise. It honestly does look like the moss that grows in my lawn that I'm trying to get rid of though! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom