Mystery Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found this growing in my yard. Strapped it to a piece of coral and put it in a vase. Totally expected it to dissolve but it's doing great. It's been in here for 6 weeks. Any ideas on what it might be?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465074067.647328.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465074080.308771.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465074092.033003.jpg

And it's got some awesome hair too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There's definitely some kind of moss in there, but there's a lot of algae on it as well. It may be getting a bit much light.

I will do a little tlc this weekend. Remove the hair, freshen up the water, and move it out of direct morning sun. We have moss rocks in our yard and I wonder if it is spreading from there? Totally surprised it hasn't melted.

I feel like a mad scientist.

It looks almost like java moss but you said you found it in your lawn so it could not be that. You have me stumped.

It does look good though. I hope you will give us an update if it has any new developments.

Well I took the moss off the coral, removed the hair algae, tied it to rocks and put it in my snail nursery. Still doing good?! I need find out what this stuff is. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467467953.336022.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467467970.753359.jpg

Moss update. This stuff is awesome. Whatever it is. It grows great where ever I put it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471401785.618362.jpg

Java Moos, Vesicularia dubyana.

Really? My lawn is riddled with Java Moss? I'm gonna pull a bunch more up and submerge it for a few months. Then make some awesome matts and carpet something.

1280_3864356662396232.jpg

For Comparisation

I pulled some more moss a month back and have it getting used to submerged growing. IMG_9395.jpg

It loves to pearl in the afternoon sun. IMG_9396.jpg

Back
Top Bottom