Mystery snail death bringer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlakRiot

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had mystery snails. By had I mean they die within a week every time I get a new one. It's very frustrating. Water parameters are
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
dkh 14.7 ?? That's what the LFS said
Copper 0
(LFS didn't have a test for gh)
Temp 80°F

Occypants:
10ish ghost shrimp
1 baby betta fish
(Now 1 nerite)

LFS says my ghost shrimp are killing them. Suggested I get a nerite to see if it survives. (Some kind of test to see if it's snails or.just mysteries). I got one and it's eating all of my algae which is very upsetting. At least the mysteries would eat the algae wafers and leave the other algae alone... I just want to get a mystery snail to live. Anyone have any idea what could be killing them? I did have a temp problem for 1 of them it would jump 12 degrees F after lights turned on within hours but I fixed the lighting issue and the temp has not fluctuated since. They would all eat fine be active then die... I have done this 7 times without the temp issue. Nerite seems active and fine. Should I wait and see if it survives for a month before I try a mystery snail again?

Sorry I ask alot of questions... I'm still new to fish keeping...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have had mystery snails for so long I can't remember. And I have never had a problem like you have described. But I have never kept them with shrimp. Tetras, barbs, Khuli's, Betta's, nerites, and never have I had a problem.

I suspect the shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Aww. I'm sad I like my shrimp and I like mysteries. I can't seem to decide which one I want more ?

So after watching this nerite for the past week I finally know what was killing my mystery snails. It was definitely the ghost shrimp. But not like I expected. After the neritr snail cleaned out my tank I dropped an algae wafer in. Of course my shrimp love these things and immediately start going after it. My nerite comes across the feeding frenzy and tries to eat some of the wafer. The shrimp were literally attacking the snail to get it away from the food. Now he won't eat any algae wafers no matter where I put them. So now I need a new food for him but at least I know what was causing the trouble. The shrimp get aggressive towards the snail when it's feeding time if the snail tries to eat from what the shrimp claim. Now that I know this I am going to get another mystery snail and try again. This time I am going to feed them both in a different way to ensure there is no collision at meat time. Once I figure out the best method for feeding I will definitely get me a new mystery. For now the nerite won't even go near any algae wafers anymore. So I need to get a seaweed clip for some spinach.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to prevent them colliding during feeding time that would be great.

I can't remember where I read something about the ghosts. That they are unexpected assassins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I could try reducing my shrimp numbers might take away their safety in numbers thing. But not sure if that would work. Nerite is fine though.

Back
Top Bottom