Mystery snail dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a golden mystery snail for 11 months now. It says they only live around a year and he was full grown when I got him, so I hope it’s just old age. I didn’t feed him a lot, maybe every 1.5 weeks I’d throw in some veggies and he’s get the food the tetras missed, I hope it was enough. I have a low tech planted tank. Anyway, he was always moving and he hasn’t moved since yesterday. I took him out yesterday and his body was pink instead of white, but he retracted the tiniest bit when I touched him. I don’t want to take him out before he’s dead. This morning he didn’t move at all but still retracted the tiniest bit when I touched him. It seems like a long time to be dying, I feel bad. Also my embers always go to town on dead snails and they haven’t touched him. He’s probably still alive if he moves, right? I’ll keep an eye on him but I hope it doesn’t take him to much longer to die ?

What are the water parameters?

Also if you refill your evaporated tank water with tap water, the TDS total dissolved solids build up. Start by doing 2 30% pwc one after the other. Then do 30% pwc each day for 5-7 days to get that water, refreshed and hoping to lowered some TDS. MS can live longer than a year.

Have you used any medication in the tank in the last few months?

Last edited:
Hmm, I don’t refill evaporated water, I do a 85% water changer every week to every 1.5 weeks. I have an algae bloom. My tetras and bettas are all fine, and the Nerite snails I have are going strong but both mystery snails have died. I had them for a year but they were full grown when I got them, so they could have been older. I also have a heated tank, I’ve heard after adopting them that they don’t live as long in a heated tank as a cold, so I won’t be adopting anymore and doing a water change. Also, kept them for almost a year so I really hope I feed them enough, it’s a low tech pls yes tank and I’d throw veggies in once a week, is that enough?

It is certainly possible they were older, but along with the algae bloom, I would say something happened.

If you do a couple extra pwc, it will help to make sure there is not any unsafe water parameters. Also to know what the parameters are would help, just in case it points to one being unsafe.

Did you recently change any foods, change the filter pads / media for new?

No changes recently but I’ve been struggling with algae for awhile. This last time was the worst the water was so green I couldn’t see through it, it definitely not normally that bad so I’ll do another pwc in a few days, it’s clear now. I’ll order some test strips, I don’t have any now, just a ammonia tester on the side that always reads safe. I didn’t want to add anything to reduce algae because I’ve read it can kill the fish. I’ve reduced the light to 7 hours, that should be enough for banana plant, java fern, Anubis and a crypt. I also have a growing Christmas and a java moss wall , so the tank is clearly getting enough light and it’s by a low light window. I’d love to get some ghost shrimp to help with algae or cherry shrimp but my betta would pick at them, if he could catch them. He’s a slower swimmer and I do have plants, I’m wondering if it could work if I get a shrimp house that he can’t get into, and also make sure the water is safe first.

I may have a bacteria bloom. I changed the water on Saturday and it’s already a bit cloudy today. Going to do another one Wednesday and get some test strips. I did change the filter a 1.5 months ago but I left the old filter media in and had no problems until now. I also noticed since I reduced light to stop algae growth my banana plant flowers died and the tubers are totally gone. Maybe that causes it.

Back
Top Bottom