Mystery snail great escape.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpgmomma8404

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my mystery snails got out of the tank. I think he/she/it was missing for about two days. I and boyfriend finally found it. He said it smelled bad so I'm pretty sure the snail is dead. This is what I'm dumbfounded about though. I know they will leave water if the conditions are bad. I tested the tank and the water looks great. Nitrates are actually down to 10 when they were coming out around 20-40. I thought maybe it went out because I wasn't feeding them enough but I had spinach in the tank for a couple of days and algae wafers that wasn't touched. Only other thing I can think of is the snail was a female and looking for a place to lay her eggs but we didn't see any clusters.

Will they just leave the tank for the heck of it or is there anything I am missing here? :ermm:

They will go on walkabout for no reason. Females seem to be the main ones that do this. My first girl was always getting out even though the water was perfect. I gave up and put a top on the tank. After she passed from old age, I put a couple of her offspring in there and took the top off again. The female of the pair started going on walkabouts. So back on goes the top. The males never got out. Mystery snails can live for several days out of the water. If it was closed up in the shell than I would put it back in the water or at least in a bucket with some tank water. If the body falls out of the shell than it is dead.

They will go on walkabout for no reason. Females seem to be the main ones that do this. My first girl was always getting out even though the water was perfect. I gave up and put a top on the tank. After she passed from old age, I put a couple of her offspring in there and took the top off again. The female of the pair started going on walkabouts. So back on goes the top. The males never got out. Mystery snails can live for several days out of the water. If it was closed up in the shell than I would put it back in the water or at least in a bucket with some tank water. If the body falls out of the shell than it is dead.

Yeah, at first we were pretty sure it was dead and put it in the trash but I just felt like something wasn't right. So, I did some reading. I put it in a container with some water from the tank it was in and sure enough. Little butt nugget is moving around the container. I'm not sure when I should add it back to the tank though. I am wondering if it is a female now though. Shell doesn't look too damage. Thanks for the information. I'm so glad I went with my gut feeling.

I've had a few zombie snail encounters lol - a few escape and while I'm sure they are dead I put them in a bucket and most if the time they return to life lol. Can be quite amusing really the little buggers!!!

I've had a few zombie snail encounters lol - a few escape and while I'm sure they are dead I put them in a bucket and most if the time they return to life lol. Can be quite amusing really the little buggers!!!

I know right? Well, I really know the little bugger is alive now. It was sticking out it's siphon while in the the little tub I had it in. It's now back in the tank. I covered any openings with some plastic mesh. If either snail in that tank can get out now I'll be shocked.

Back
Top Bottom