mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shacker66

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had my first mystery snail escape found her on the floor this morning when I got up not sure how she was there but she came from the back since there is only one spot to escape.

My question when I touched her inner she climb father in I am hoping she is still a live. What do others think?

I also now cycling a 30 gallon aquarium I hope I can be patient. I have always done it with fish. Always had luck but I want to try this way. Anybody have any excellent advise. I am experienced but not a pro. I really want Discus but I have not made the big plan yet.

I also have a 20 gallon and a 10.

Thank you

Shacker66

Hi just put her back into the tank. If she's moving back into her shell then she's still alive. Mystery snails like to go wandering out off tanks so may be a lid or lower the water level more? I'm sure she'll be fine [emoji846]
Sorry just noticed you said there's one place she can crawl out. Maybe put something over it to stop her?

Thank you very much for your reply.
Put her back and she is off and running will lowering the water level stop her
from doing it again I have tried blocking all spots this is the only area there is that is hard to block. I have four in the 20 gallon. First time in 2 months my 10 gallon I have had a lot longer with two and no escapes.

Thanks again

Lower water levels won't necessarily keep the snails in, you may need to get a top of some kind. My nerites frequently visit the dry upper area when I slack off and forget to do my top-ups. I've watched them fall back into the tank trying to navigate the rim on a couple of occasions, but a mystery snail with a larger foot would probably be able to negotiate that barrier!

If a commercial top won't work because of where you have your equipment placed, you should be able to contact a local glass shop that can cut you panels of glass to custom dimensions and thicknesses; I've got 2 on top of my 40g breeder where my HOB is positioned on the side with a heater on the back and the cable for a powerhead/sponge combo on the other side. Just be sure to ask that the edges are 'swiped' or they will be sharp! Getting a panel or two from a glass shop also has the added benefit of being cheaper than a commercial top in my experience.

Last edited:
Somebody mentiones using the *loop* part of velcro tape arouns the top insidw wdgw of the tank aa a barrier, I am *assuming* that it would be annoying on their foot if they tried to cross it

Back
Top Bottom