Mystery Snails, Ghost Shrimp, and a Goldfish, Oh my!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kittyk4y

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

Got two mystery snails and 10 ghost shrimp today. Already had a goldfish. I'm not worried about him eating anyone. They're all in a 10 gallon tank. (Yes, I know, don't put a goldfish in a 10 gallon, it's too small, blah blah. If he gets too big, my grandmother has a pond with other goldfish that he will go live in.) Anyway, one of my snails will not stop eating. He has been sitting on an algae pellet for... hours. Should I be worried about him? Also, one of my ghost shrimp has a red spot about a centimeter or two back from his eye. Will she be okay? One last thing. Three or four of the females are pregnant. When should I turn off my filter so that the fry will be fine? I don't want to turn it off too early.

Thanks guys!

Snails can be pigs, don't worry about it.

The first time I gave my mystery snail an algae tab he acted like a child with a new toy... hugged it in his foot, ate for hours, finally put it down and moved away only to turn back and feel it just to make sure it was still there, and then moved away further and rushed back again to make sure it was still there. Totally hysterical!

Snails can be pigs, don't worry about it.

The first time I gave my mystery snail an algae tab he acted like a child with a new toy... hugged it in his foot, ate for hours, finally put it down and moved away only to turn back and feel it just to make sure it was still there, and then moved away further and rushed back again to make sure it was still there. Totally hysterical!

Haha! Alright, thanks.

I have lost 3 or four shrimp now. Two of them I figured were going to go; I separated my pregnant shrimp and so I figured a few of them would die due to the moving around. The rest of my shrimp (except the pregnant ones) are all hiding. I can never seem to find them. Also, should I leave the dead shrimp in there for the others? I know that sounds gross, but I was thinking they'd be able to get the nutrients from the dead ones?

How new is your tank? Also shrimp are sensitive to water quality ad it is a bad idea to put with goldfish because they produce a ton of waste and your goldfish might die before it gets to big because it has no room to grow and from bad wter quality unless you change water everyday so just put it in her pond now

Also the shrimp need biofilm to eat off of or some algae wafers

How new is your tank? Also shrimp are sensitive to water quality ad it is a bad idea to put with goldfish because they produce a ton of waste and your goldfish might die before it gets to big because it has no room to grow and from bad wter quality unless you change water everyday so just put it in her pond now

Also the shrimp need biofilm to eat off of or some algae wafers

Tank is a few weeks old. I tested my water for everything and it's all fine. I do tests quite often (like multiple times a week for the first two weeks I have a new pet.) This goldfish is 3 years old; he was in a 2.5 gallon tank for those three years. He is fine.

Also, if you had read the first post thoroughly, you would have seen that I do feed my shrimp algae wafers.

Ok. Though he may have been stunted from his previous small tank. Do you know what type specific of Goldfish he is? Ad I would not leave anything dead in tank it could raise ammonia levels. Do you have a few inches of no water in your tank ? It is good to do that for snails because they like to go up sometimes

Ok. Though he may have been stunted from his previous small tank. Do you know what type specific of Goldfish he is? Ad I would not leave anything dead in tank it could raise ammonia levels

He is a Comet I believe. I left the dead shrimp in there because I remember reading somewhere that, as long as the chemical levels in the water are good, it's actually quite healthy, so the live ones can feed on the dead. Just wanted to double check my knowledge though.

Ok. Your goldfish is most likely stunted then . They are the common type for use in ponds he would be happier in pond and may start to grow

Ok. Your goldfish is most likely stunted then . They are the common type for use in ponds he would be happier in pond and may start to grow

Next time I get a chance, I will take him to the pond. My grandmother lives three hours away from me, though, so it may be a while. He seems happy in the tank though, at least for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom