Nano fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennandjuicetm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking of stocking either a 20 high or a 55 with all nano fish. Obviously, a 55 would give me more options so I'm heavily leaning that way. What type of stocking and how many would you do? This might include shrimp if I could keep them alive. Lol How many different shrimp could I put together while avoiding interbreeding?
On my list thus far are pygmy cories, would be cool to include all 3 species and my super mellow female betta. Everything else is up for discussion. Im wondering if ADFs would be okay? Wondering about badis badis and threadfin rainbows. I would like to make this a planted tank.

I really like rainbows and killifish, too.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rainbows are SUPER hyper, so be sure you want that before you get any. They are beautiful, but they can make it difficult for slower moving fish to get enough to eat. The betta would definitely have to be fed separate from the Rainbows. Like, distract the Rainbows in one end of the tank with food as you feed your betta in another corner.

The small Rainbows, like the threadfins would be alright in a 20 high. The Gertrudes are neat looking too. I personally like those and the forktail blue eyes better than threadfins, but to each his own. I also have Norman's Lamp Eye Killie fish (they also have blue eyes) and I actually like them quite a bit. They aren't really colorful, but the blue eyes are attractive.

The cories should be no problem with Rainbows as Rainbows stay toward the top of the tank, and the cories are bottom dwellers for the most part.

I haven't had good luck with ADFs so can't advise you on that. I got four, and all four would not eat, and died.

The badis badis is one I would not include. I've read too much about them being aggressive and tearing up, and/or killing other fish.

Peacock Gudgeons are not recognized as much as they should be. I've only had one, but I was really impressed with that fish! She was just like a female betta in temperament. If you like your betta, you'd almost certainly love a Peacock Gudgeon. Good luck! You might try some endlers too. I have black bar as well as tiger endlers and they're beautiful, but they are as hyper as the Rainbows!

Are you open to other tank sizes? 20H and 55g are both pretty silly tank sizes in my personal opinion simply because of how shallow/tall they are; they're generally speaking not the best for fish, but tend to be better for fish keepers if you catch my drift. A 40B or 20 long would be much better, if you're open to that.

I don't know that I would consider rainbows nano either, and none of those tanks are particularly food for the medium and up size rainbows. When you say nano fish, what do you mean? In other words, what does 'nano' mean to you?

The reason I was planning on using those sizes is because I already have them. I'm open to other sizes, I like short, fat tanks. A 40 breeder is what I really wanted but I got the 55 for $30 so I couldn't pass that up. Not that I couldn't trade the 55 for a 40 breeder.

I guess nano would be anything very small, up to 1.5 inches, 2 at the max. I wouldn't mind a couple larger fish if they were safe with the tiniest of the tank. What got me "in to" nanos are the pygmy cories that I have. They are so cute and tiny, a tank full of tiny fish would be so cool. Plus, I like variety and I'm indecisive so I could have a lot more kinds of tiny fish than I could larger ones. I like the idea of miniatures. This would be a planted/low tech tank.

When they're healthy? LoL Are they sensitive to illness?

I fear I didn't have the best luck with them at first I had a %50 survival rate. But we decided to treat for parasites as a final attempt at saving them and they bounced bad right away.

Sent from my iPhone

Hmm, well I had a hard time with neons. So maybe the CPDs would be a challenge.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom