Nano with 0 Phosphate and Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricardo48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I am a little confused with some comments I always here from people regarding bioload on a Nano.

I have a 25 litre nano with the following stocking

1 x percula clownfish
1 x fire fish goby
1 x red leg hermit
1 x blue hermit

Some Xenia / Polyps / Zoas and live rock.

I am now 5 months in and finally measure 0.03 phosphate and 1-2 nitrate ppm using D&D test kits.

Most people tell me i am well overstocked but how can this be if I barely reach 5ppm nitrate anymore.

I only dose vodka / run GFO and have a small mechanical internal filter. I also change 10% water weekly.

Can I add more fish now as my nitrate readings say I can.

You're likely at 10 - 20 pp, on the nitrate, not 1 - 2. 20 is considered by lots as the upper limit for a reef tank. I wouldn't add any more fish if it were me. Maybe a neon goby or someting else tiny.

Nope both my D&D and Salifert test kit show nitrate under 1ppm and have only seen it as high as 2ppm.

I dose vodka and have lots of live rock so assume they are using it up aswell as the xenia. I have zero algae and lots of pink coralline.

Just get confused. Why some people say no fish in my tank yet I have what is considered a large bioload and still have low nitrates.

You can stock as heavy as you want in my eyes, just the heavier you go the more work to maintain parameters?

It's not just about parameters. The fish you have in there just plain out need a bigger tank. I run less than 5 nitrates in my 4g and I have one fish, a clown goby that is about half and inch big and won't be getting much bigger.

You choose active larger fish for a pico.

OK...I have to ask....Vodka? (Is picturing someone pouring in some Smirnoff)

Nope, he is doing it the old fashioned way by taking care of the water. It's not impossible to get to 0, just takes some extra effort. OP should be commended for being so vigiliant to get those parameters in the face of what he has stocked. He is doing a very good job. :)

the only reason your trates are low is because of the vodka,how long have you been dosing with vodka? this treatment is used to lower your trates to 0 and then keeping a tight schedule on dosage.Also a tank that small I dont think needs vodka dosing just a good maintenance schedule.Your dosage must be a very small amount like0.2-0.4 ml and your measuring tool must be good,keep an eye out on your O2 as this dosing reduces it.It is also reccommended to use a large skimmer with vodka dosing.

Last edited:
The aricle is indicating organic carbon as the good stuff...wouldn't this same type of nitrate reduction work by filtering through with research/laboratory grade carbon rather than taking a chance putting Vodka (and I didn't think it was the actual drinking stuff :)) in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom