naso not eating the seaweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spaz0177

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is he going to be ok. He never eats it. I stick it on the glass stick under rocks, but he never eats it. mY other fish to include kole tang eats it.

I feed formula 2 pellets half the time and the other have frozen food brine and mysid shrimp soaked in vita chem for five minutes.

Is he getting enough because i was told that the seaweed is essential

Water parameters?
How long have you had him?
How did you acclimate him?
Try soaking the seaweed in garlic guard.

He eats the floating food?

I once shred (with my hands) the dried seaweed, dropped it in some SW and feed the tank that way - poured it in. Mine got a taste of what he was previously not willing to taste on the clip. He was fine after that and would nibble on the seeweed before I even got the clip stuck on the glass.

I had a similar experience although mine just figured it out after 2-3 weeks. I like the idea of shredding the seaweed up :) Not sure if it's just "slow" or just timid of the clip at first.

Tank had been set up for 3 months now, how many fish do you have so far and when did you add them? A 120 gal tank is fairly large but you still don't want to rush things.

everything is in line. I have 1 yellow faced sleeper goby, three scissortail gobies, 1 kole tang, one naso tang, 4 damsels, 1 swallowtail female angel, one starry blenny, 10 large turbo snails, 10 red legged hermits, and 3 peppermint shrimp that i never see.

Have you tried spirilina flake food. It will get a good dose of greens from this and he might turn to the seaweed after that.

What size tank do you have Spaz? I noticed you have a Kole Tang as well, two tangs need lots of space and Naso's get very large. Are you sure there is no sparring going on between the Kole and Naso. Surgeons when placed together will often spar and I have seen aggression coming strong from Naso's before.

Anything shy of 100 gallons could never support a Naso and Kole together and if the tank is small the Naso may be too stressed by the enclosed space to feed.

Back
Top Bottom