Need Advice for my 3 Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I am still relatively new to the fishkeeping hobby. I think I've done okay for someone who started out with zero knowledge on how to properly care for fish. I started with a 10 gallon tank, and then added a betta tank for my desk, and then my sister decided that she wanted one as well. So they were all setup at different times. I've done a lot of research throughout the 4 months that I've had my fish and I have a few questions about where I should go from here.

I took a hiatus on testing the water of the tanks (about 2-3 weeks) as I was out of town. I had a friend do water changes and feedings while I was away.

Here is my setup:

Tank 1
  • 10 Gallon
  • Whisper filter (no flow control)
  • Stocked with 5 glo-fish
  • Under gravel heater
  • Blue and White LED lighting

Tank 2 - Setup 2 weeks after tank 1
  • 5 Gallon
  • Whisper filter (with flow control)
  • Stocked with 1 betta
  • Small betta heater
  • White LED lighting

Tank 3 - Setup 2 weeks after tank 2
  • 5 Gallon
  • Whisper filter (with flow control)
  • Stocked with 1 betta
  • Small betta heater
  • White LED lighting

----------------
I setup the 10 gallon (tank 1) aquarium up about 4 months ago. It seems as though it has finally gotten through the nitrogen cycle.

Water test from this morning:
Tank 1
  • Ammonia: 0ppm
  • Nitrite: 0ppm
  • Nitrate: ~10-20ppm

I setup one of the 5 gallon tanks (tank 2) about 2 weeks after setting up tank 1 (10 gallon). It sits on my desk. The last time I tested the water, I had very high ammonia readings and everything else was 0.

The second 5 gallon tank (tank 3) was setup 2 weeks after setting up tank 2. It's ammonia has also been high and everything else has been 0.

Water test from this morning:
Tank 2
  • Ammonia: ~2-3ppm
  • Nitrate: 0ppm

Tank 3
  • Ammonia: 0ppm
  • Nitrate: 40-50ppm

So it appears as though the last tank to be setup (tank 3) has cycled. I don't understand why that happened. It has always been a bit dirtier than the other tanks. I assumed the betta in that tank produced more waste. It's like the whole cycle happened in just a week or two, whereas the 10 gallon tank took months to cycle.

----------------
I've included pictures of the three tanks. Tank 1 is under a window that has an air conditioner above it (we don't use it), and there is minimal light that comes through. Tank 2 is on my desk, away from windows. Tank 3 (the one that cycled right under my nose) sits on a small stand next to a window (some light comes through).

Tank 1 has a lot of algae growing. I was advised to do frequent water changes and to leave the light on for only 8 hours a day. I've been doing this, with no luck.

Tank 1

2qcfdk8.jpg

Tank 2

155hzbn.jpg

Tank 3

33u3e2r.jpg

----------------
To the point:

I hope I didn't confuse anyone about the setup. I tried to provide all of the relevant details.

1. If anyone has any advice on the algae issue with tank 1, I would really appreciate it.
  2. I'm also still curious as to why tank 3 cycled before tank 2 and why it happened so fast.
  3. Finally, what can I do to tank 2 to get it to cycle faster? Can I take decor or some filter media from the other tanks to help speed up the process? If I can add filter media, how is this done?

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post!

Hi! Beautiful tanks by the way. I used Tetra safe start Plus and it really helped speed up my cycle. I also recommend using seachem prime because it is a honest lifesaver. Prime will detoxify the ammonia and nitrite so the filter can remove them easily. It is also the best thing to use especially if you have a fish in the tank during the cycling process.

Thank you! Also, thanks for replying! I was getting worried that my long post scared everyone away :D

I have been dosing Prime and it's saved my fish for sure. I will stop by the pet store and see if I can pick up Tetra Safe. I'm willing to try just about anything.

Hi! Beautiful tanks by the way. I used Tetra safe start Plus and it really helped speed up my cycle. I also recommend using seachem prime because it is a honest lifesaver. Prime will detoxify the ammonia and nitrite so the filter can remove them easily. It is also the best thing to use especially if you have a fish in the tank during the cycling process.

Also, you're probably already aware, but if not make sure when you perform your water changes with the gravel vac to make sure you're not actually cleaning the gravel because this may cause the cycle to delay.

I've been doing frequent water changes, but not touching the gravel. My Aqueon vac actually broke on me today (water went everywhere) so I'll be picking up a new one tomorrow. I am using the API master test kit. I tested again this morning and my readings haven't changed.

I'm worried about the algae in my 10 gallon tank. It looks horrible on some of the decorations. I tried cleaning one of them, but I couldn't get all of it off.

Can't quite help you on that one. Maybe someone else can. Personally to control my algae in my tank I have Amano( Japanese algae eating shrimp) and ghost shrimp. They do a great job. Especially the Amano. I personally love them. If you're interested you can get them. The glofish may try to eat them but that's a possibility with any fish you put them in with. They lived fine with my fish never bothered them. If the fish start to bother them they can sometimes hold their one. But you might not have those issues at all. If you're interested, they do a great job at cleaning the tank and eating uneaten fish food and detritus preventing ammonia spikes.

I wish I had a contrast picture but when I first got my anubias on a lava rock, the rock was covered, I mean covered in brown algae, my shrimp ate it clean they did not leave one speck! I leave my lighting on about 12 hours a day and have not had an algae issue. They're not expensive either! Someone people don't like the way they look. I personally think they are adorable.

I would recommend getting 2 Amano shrimp. I feel like ghost shrimp do better in bigger groups. My two amanos do great together. When I only had one ghost shrimp he seems kind of alone and didn't do much I added four more and they all swim around the whole tank together. Just a heads up. They seem to do better in pairs or groups.

I've been doing frequent water changes, but not touching the gravel. My Aqueon vac actually broke on me today (water went everywhere) so I'll be picking up a new one tomorrow. I am using the API master test kit. I tested again this morning and my readings haven't changed.

I'm worried about the algae in my 10 gallon tank. It looks horrible on some of the decorations. I tried cleaning one of them, but I couldn't get all of it off.

Snails. Nerite snails. GET THEM! They solve most of your algae needs. I put three in my 10 gallon and in 2 weeks they had cleaned the entire thing.

Algae is from an imbalance.

Reduce light to 6hours. Use a timer. You can increase once Algae is better.

Don't overfeed.

You've got the water changes covered.

Your stock is a bit tricky for a 10g. I know they recommend a 10g as ok for GloFish.

But Skirt Tetras and Tiger Barbs are both nippy fish. Both are recommended to be kept in large groups to disperse aggression.

Once you get 6-8 of each type you are looking at 20-30g tanks.

Zebra Danios, Glo or not are very zippy active fish. They can survive in a 10g, but a large group in a 20 Long is a nice sight.

Nothing to panic over, just something to think about.

Excel can be used as an algecide as well.

Be aware the tentacle looking orange ornament is known to suddenly degrade and get sticky. Can poison your fish. I'd remove immediately. Lots of Betta folk bought these and have had nasty results.

Thanks for the advice. I had no idea about the fake anemone. I've had it in there for several months and I haven't noticed anything strange about it. I went ahead and removed it just in case!

I'd love to have a larger tank. I can't budget for one right now though, so I'm hoping the 10g will suffice until then. But I will make plans for a larger one.

I ended up taking the mushroom decoration out of tank A because the algae had taken it over.

I limited the light but I haven't seen any progress with the algae. I did find out that my roommate has been overfeeding my fish. I watched him throw in 5 large pinches into tank A and 3 in the betta tanks!!

So I hid the food and am going to let the fish go a day or two without a feeding and then regulate how much they get. I'm also thinking about doing a blackout and then only leave the light on at night (3-4 hours).

EDIT: I did a google search about the artificial anemone's and I found a product review site for a similar one to mine. One of the reviewers mentioned seeing an oily-type residue floating on top of their water after putting the anemone in. Their entire stock died. I instantly remembered seeing the same thing a few months ago. I put the decoration in when I set up the tank, so I can't say for certain if that is what caused it, but the oily residue was rainbow colored against the led lights. I was doing water changes religiously back then because I didn't exactly know what I was doing. I think I did them daily. I wonder if this saved my fish? I also wonder if whatever came off of it is gone, because it's been in my tank for months. In total, I lost one fish at the beginning. The rest seem okay.

Algae is from an imbalance.

Reduce light to 6hours. Use a timer. You can increase once Algae is better.

Don't overfeed.

You've got the water changes covered.

Your stock is a bit tricky for a 10g. I know they recommend a 10g as ok for GloFish.

But Skirt Tetras and Tiger Barbs are both nippy fish. Both are recommended to be kept in large groups to disperse aggression.

Once you get 6-8 of each type you are looking at 20-30g tanks.

Zebra Danios, Glo or not are very zippy active fish. They can survive in a 10g, but a large group in a 20 Long is a nice sight.

Nothing to panic over, just something to think about.

Excel can be used as an algecide as well.

Be aware the tentacle looking orange ornament is known to suddenly degrade and get sticky. Can poison your fish. I'd remove immediately. Lots of Betta folk bought these and have had nasty results.

Back
Top Bottom