Need advice on high ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jordan t

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I just recently started a 60 gallon aquarium from petsmart and I’m currently cycling the tank. My problem is the ph that comes from my tap water is 7.6 but when i add to my tank and sits for a day and shoots way up to 8.4. It did the same when I filled a 5 gallon bucket of tap water with a air stone for 24 hours. Will my ph be way to high to high to keep fish

So I just recently started a 60 gallon aquarium from petsmart and I’m currently cycling the tank. My problem is the ph that comes from my tap water is 7.6 but when i add to my tank and sits for a day and shoots way up to 8.4. It did the same when I filled a 5 gallon bucket of tap water with a air stone for 24 hours. Will my ph be way to high to high to keep fish

Probably because co2 (which in water is an acid known as carbonic acid) is present in tap water and eventually out gasses to atmosphere raising ph.

I don’t think pH is an issue for the majority of fish we keep. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Back
Top Bottom