Need advice on HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimluann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon freshwater community tank that has been running for about 2 months. I have 8 platys, 6 zebra danios, 6 rasboras and an algae eater.

The tank has a Marineland Magnum 250H HOB filter and a Powerhead 402 connected to a UG filter. (I got the setup from a lfs that used it for 5-7 years) About a week ago, the HOB filter started to make a clicking noise. I took it apart to see if something got hung up in the impeller area. It did not. I put it back in service and it still moves water, but makes the same noise.

I have started to read about new filters to replace the 250H. I am leaning towards the Emperor 280, however, the recommended tank size is 30-50 gallons. The Emperor 400 is not that much more in price, but it moves a lot more water.

I have two basic questions, plus follow ups:
If I get the 280, will it be enough?

If not should I get the 400 and perhaps unplug the UG filter?

Or, I am very open to other suggestions or recommendations.

Also, feel free to offer other fish that I might add.

Thanks in advance

Jim :arrow:

Just put the 40$ you would spend on an Emperor 400 towards the purchase of a canister filter. I started with the 400 on my 55; and, while it worked very well, I have found the upgrade to the xp2 to be a good decision. Canisters are quieter, easier to maintain, and aren't as much of an eyesore as hob's. If you want to go with a hob, the Emperor 400 will do the trick on a 55 gallon if you don't overstock. Go ahead and pull that ugf out.
I think a couple angelfish would make a nice centerpiece fish to what you have. Or, maybe a herd of neons would be cool...
Good luck!

canister filters are awesome, I have a cascade 700 or something like that I bought off someone on here and its an awesome filter, they just become a pain to take apart and clean, especially un hooking the hoses can cause a nasty suction and drain your tank, but as for your hang on back filter I have the sam eproblem with one of mine, all I do is wiggle the intake tube and it will seat better and quit

I too would recommend a cannister. They are better for larger tanks IMO. The ratings that are listed on the boxes for the filters are not taking into consideration the actual stocking that goes into a tank. For example, goldfish and cichlids require much more filtration. Smaller community fish require less. The filter ratings don't calculate this. As a result it is always better IMO to err on the side of more rather than less filtration. A cannister or the 400 would be better than the 280.

Zagz said:
A cannister or the 400 would be better than the 280.

I agee totally I wish the LFS here would price match canister filters I got my Emperor 400s pricematched to BigAl's for like 37.00 a piece but they wouldn't match canister filter prices so I got the 400s on my tank they are great.

Back
Top Bottom