need advice on plec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a bulldog plec he's 2inches, I,ve had him for a year he's been getting bullied by my elephant nose fish. Need your guys honesty I have my betta in a filtered, heated 26litre tank could I put my bulldog in there or is it too small? Just looking for somewhere for him. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

shellyx said:
I have a bulldog plec he's 2inches, I,ve had him for a year he's been getting bullied by my elephant nose fish. Need your guys honesty I have my betta in a filtered, heated 26litre tank could I put my bulldog in there or is it too small? Just looking for somewhere for him. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I think a bulldog plec would be ok in a 26ltr if the only other fish in there is a fighter. Bulldogs don't get big just keep your eye on the water parameters as any pleco can add huge amounts to the bio load. It's only my opinion but I would say yes he will be fine.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, I,ll give it a go I think he,ll be fine. I,ll add more live plants first & his rock! He doesn't share it with anyone.

shellyx said:
Thanks for the reply, I,ll give it a go I think he,ll be fine. I,ll add more live plants first & his rock! He doesn't share it with anyone.

Lol yea plecs get a bit like that don't they. He should be fine. Let me know how you get on and good luck.

Thanks, I,ve moved him in there tonight & his rock. He seems ok, hopefully they,ll get on fine.

It may work for now at his current size, but I believe Bulldog Plecos hit a max size of 5"... 26 litre tank is roughly 6 gallons, which is much too small considering the bio load a full grown pleco puts out. I'd definitely look into finding him a bigger home in the near future or you'll either stunt the pleco's growth and/or have a devil of a time keeping the water parameters right between both the pleco and betta.

IMO a 6 gallon is best kept to a betta and maybe 1-2 very small tankmates (like a snail, oto, frog, or shrimp).

Guinness said:
Lol yea plecs get a bit like that don't they. He should be fine. Let me know how you get on and good luck.

He's had a night in there but my betta keeps chasing him, do u think it will settle?

It really depends on the betta's personality. How long has he been on his own in the tank? If it's been a while, he's likely decided the whole tank is his and his alone and may not be willing to share. Some bettas are super mellow about tankmates, while others flat out won't tolerate anyone else. He may settle down after a few days, but he may not, you'll have to wait and see.

That elephant nose will hit 8-9" by the way, probably as long, if not longer than your tank itself!!

Freakgecko91 said:
That elephant nose will hit 8-9" by the way, probably as long, if not longer than your tank itself!!

My elephant nose is in a 55gallon, he's going to be moved into my 75 soon. It's my little bulldog that's in the smaller tank.

Put him back in my big tank didn't like my betta bullying him. At least I know now that he only gets on with my Nerite!

It's probably for the best, the betta's tank would have been too small in the long run anyways. Hopefully the elephant nose will be nicer to him now!

Back
Top Bottom