Need advice on water clarity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am struggling to keep my water clear on my 10 gallon. Any suggestions??

I am struggling to keep my water clear on my 10 gallon. Any suggestions??
Is your tank cycled? If not, read this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...e-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283-164.html
and this:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

If you posted a picture it would be easier for us to identify the culprit. It could be a bacteria bloom, algae, tanins, and many other things.
Therefore, it wold also help if you described your tank, like what the stock is, what plants and decorations, etc

image-2112178409.jpg

When the light is on it has a white haze to it but when the light is off it is brown in color when I look through the tank. I was thinking a brown algae bloom?

View attachment 61018

When the light is on it has a white haze to it but when the light is off it is brown in color when I look through the tank. I was thinking a brown algae bloom?
Is your tank near a window? I am pretty sure it's the wood that's doing it... it is probably releasing tannins. (basically slowly making your aquarium water into tea! lol) You can fix this by boiling the driftwood a lot, and if that still doesn't help apply a clear coat on it.

Well believe it or not the wood actually fake. It is very realistic though!

Well believe it or not the wood actually fake. It is very realistic though!
Oh. lol... well obviously it's realistic if I thought it was real! LOL
then I agree with you, it's probably a brown algae bloom.
The most effective method to get rid of algae is using a UV sterilizer, but there are other ways...
you could leave the lights off in the tank for a while and do a large water change (that's the best way I can think of without a UV sterilizer)
You could also try feeding less food to the fish, but I doubt it will have much effect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom