Need help adding water to Axolotl tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmesser

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Axolotl's can't take to much water flow. This has become a problem while adding water to my tank. I remove it using a typical siphon (gravel vacuum made for 29-55 gal aquarium) and 5 gallon buckets for the waste water. No problem getting the water out that's not the problem I don't mind making a few trips if needed to flush the waste water. Adding however is an issue. The 20 gal tank is behind my couch on built in shelf. (Probably was an entertainment center at one point for a tube TV.) I fill the buckets with fresh tap water and at first I attempted to swap the sucking end of the gravel vacuum with the front and pump water using the small hand squeeze pump. Although this does work (WOW) it would take forever. I've also tried using a small cup (Dixie Cup) and one by one add it to the water. This also took a ridiculously long time. So, left with no option. I had to pour the bucket in the tank as slowly as I could. My Axolotl seemed to be just fine at first but after doing so he hid for a few days only coming out to feed then hide again,(which was out of character for him.) Phew.. Now you know the situation and what I've tried. What, ( As far as equipment or method), Would you recommend or try?

Watering can?

TRISj07.jpeg

Take off the sprinkler. I also put a sheet of bubble wrap onto the waters surface when pouring in water to avoid things getting too disturbed.

I use a small water pump from my old Fluval tank, should be able to use any water pump.
Attach a tube to the outflow of the pump and put the other end of the tube in the tank, place the pump submerged in your bucket of water, and plug it in.
It takes a bit, but the flow I get from mine is super gentle and you don't have to do anything other than wait.

Axolotl's can't take to much water flow. This has become a problem while adding water to my tank. I remove it using a typical siphon (gravel vacuum made for 29-55 gal aquarium) and 5 gallon buckets for the waste water. No problem getting the water out that's not the problem I don't mind making a few trips if needed to flush the waste water. Adding however is an issue. The 20 gal tank is behind my couch on built in shelf. (Probably was an entertainment center at one point for a tube TV.) I fill the buckets with fresh tap water and at first I attempted to swap the sucking end of the gravel vacuum with the front and pump water using the small hand squeeze pump. Although this does work (WOW) it would take forever. I've also tried using a small cup (Dixie Cup) and one by one add it to the water. This also took a ridiculously long time. So, left with no option. I had to pour the bucket in the tank as slowly as I could. My Axolotl seemed to be just fine at first but after doing so he hid for a few days only coming out to feed then hide again,(which was out of character for him.) Phew.. Now you know the situation and what I've tried. What, ( As far as equipment or method), Would you recommend or try?
Hello, have you considered using a water changer. It may be worth the investment. You hook up to sink, control flow & temp. You use seachem prime or safe water conditioner & there is no premixing or 5gal buckets. Be sure to dose conditioner for full volume of tank. I usually wait about 10min so it circulates threw the tank & then fill. Hopefully this helps!!!!!Screenshot_20220504-111948.jpgScreenshot_20220504-121742.jpgScreenshot_20220504-122100.jpg

float bucket in the tank and poor water from the tapbucket into the bucket in the tank then slowly tip the now filled bucket in the tank releasing the water slowly

I use a small water pump from my old Fluval tank, should be able to use any water pump.
Attach a tube to the outflow of the pump and put the other end of the tube in the tank, place the pump submerged in your bucket of water, and plug it in.
It takes a bit, but the flow I get from mine is super gentle and you don't have to do anything other than wait.

Thank you sounds way better than what I was doing.

Hello, have you considered using a water changer. It may be worth the investment. You hook up to sink, control flow & temp. You use seachem prime or safe water conditioner & there is no premixing or 5gal buckets. Be sure to dose conditioner for full volume of tank. I usually wait about 10min so it circulates threw the tank & then fill. Hopefully this helps!!!!!View attachment 323384View attachment 323385View attachment 323386

This might be a smart choice for the long run. I'll look into these things thank you so much.

I have several large tanks(120, 90, 75, 2x55 & 20gal. I can do 50% water changes on all in 3hrs. Temp matched & conditioner treated w/no problems.

My only concern is when using this method is my tap water is hotter than what the axolotl's tank is 66°F. I use a fan running constantly on the water to achieve evaporative cooling. Other wise the tank would be a few degrees hotter in my 73° F home. With that being said in my current setup I've been using a few cups of ice to each 5 gal fill waiting for the ice to melt and add it to the tank. My only concern is do you think using fresh tap water ( which would raise the aquariums tempature 4 or so degrees) could harm my axolotl. I didn't ask earlier do you happen to have axolotls?

Not a bad idea for small water changes. Thank you Aiken drum!
You have a 20g tank. Even a 50% water change is only going to be 4 watering cans full of water.

About your tap water. Your cold water is warmer than your tank water temperature? Wow, thats crazy. Even in a very hot summer here in UK our tap water doesnt get that warm. Glad having to cool water isnt something i have to contend with.

My only concern is when using this method is my tap water is hotter than what the axolotl's tank is 66°F. I use a fan running constantly on the water to achieve evaporative cooling. Other wise the tank would be a few degrees hotter in my 73° F home. With that being said in my current setup I've been using a few cups of ice to each 5 gal fill waiting for the ice to melt and add it to the tank. My only concern is do you think using fresh tap water ( which would raise the aquariums tempature 4 or so degrees) could harm my axolotl. I didn't ask earlier do you happen to have axolotls?
The only way you might be able to work a water changer is if you fill a bucket w/ice, water & coil the changing hose in it. Slow flow considerably so water has a chance to chill(diy chiller). It would take some patience, practice & time so it may not be worth it for 1 small tank.

Back
Top Bottom