Need help deciding what to add

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrappieHumor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium that has been stable for 2 years. most fish have gotten old and and died, and we are starting to restock. Currently left in it we have
2 black skirt tetras,
2 glofish tetras (one of which has gotten so old it has lost control of its swim bladder),
1 clown loach,
1 7-8 inch Plecostomus;
and 2 mollies and 2 platys that were added last week.

Any suggestions as to what we might add next? Is there anything we should have? The tank is pirate themed with white gravel.

In the past, we haven't had much luck with neon tetras, or other tiny fish; or kissing gouramis.
Last time I went browsing at the pet store, the rainbowfish and octocinclus and tiger barbs really stuck out to me, this was based purely on appearance, and I haven't done much research on either, but i know that the barbs are semi aggressive... do you think they'd cause a problem? I'd Hate to upset the balance and peacefulness of our tank.

I avoid Barbs all together. They tend to do best in larger schools and get nippy and spazz out in smaller groups. Rainbows are interesting fish and a lot of people keep them in community tanks. I am pretty sure they like to be in groups as well.

I would add more fish to the glo fish and black skirt tetra school. Keep in mind that the clown loach and possibly the pleco will need a bigger tank down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have heard both the clown loach, and from personal experience the tiger barbs, are very nippy with long find. I have tiger barbs in a tank by themselves because they are so nippy and somewhat aggressive. They are very fun fish to watch but I'd keep them alone. Platys are pretty good. I have white skirt tetras and they are peaceful. They get 3 inches and are schooling though so watch out.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421168851.481603.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421168913.402135.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, I knew eventually we'd have to replace the pleco and clown loach. Those white skirts are pretty, will they school with our existing ones?

I would do a large school 12+ lemon tetras. I know the lemon tetras don't look like much in the store but get them home and they look really nice. Or do some cherry barbs they aren't nippy like tigers and they have brilliant adult colors.

Like most tetras, white skirt will school with other white skirts, once they get used to the environment, if it is a peaceful tank, they will venture away from the group and explore on their own. Like I said they are a very peaceful fish to watch, their fins are long and graceful, that being said, watch for any fish to nip at those fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom