Need help on ID this, is it safe for the reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

comets55

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I bought this from LFS. They said it is a Maiden Hair Algae & it came with 2 green tiny crab which live in this algae.

I just want to know if this algae is safe in the reef tank? Will it cause the ugly hair algae? Are they the same thing.

I attached a picture of the Maiden hair algae and my current 90 gallon reef and fish tank.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• image-1927575777.jpg
    image-1927575777.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 171
  • image-218066277.jpg
    image-218066277.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 189
Maiden's Hair is a reef safe macro algae that many folks keep in their DT or fuge. IME my tangs never ate it. As for if the crabs are reef safe, would need a pic to determine.

Maiden's Hair is a reef safe macro algae that many folks keep in their DT or fuge. IME my tangs never ate it. As for if the crabs are reef safe, would need a pic to determine.

What is the difference between this algae and hair algae..? They look very similar to me

Will wait until the Green crabs come out and take a picture to share.

Irish moss....good stuff for Beer making...thirsty now :)

Guys!! Finally I can spotted the Green crab. It had been disappeared since the day I posted. And I finally found him today.

Can you tell me if he is reef safe?

Attachments

• image-1593022793.jpg
    image-1593022793.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 142
  • image-1389084569.jpg
    image-1389084569.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 133
I don't have a sw tank but i would ask your lfs qnd if they don't kno anythng put it in your quaritne tank with a small frag and see if he does anything.

If I was a betting man (I don't have anything to loose here), I'd say it was a type of acropora, based on the front leg design. Although I have not heard of an acro that hosts hair algae, that doesn't mean it doesn't exhist.

To Aquariumlover:

Yep...I think I am going to try that first.

To Ingy:
I agreed with you. It looks similar to the crab in Acropora. I just want to keep him. I rarely see the crab this green and got very nice pattern.

I would put small frags of ever or most of the corals you have and maybe some iverts and fish if you want to be sure it doesent attack them.

Back
Top Bottom