Need help stocking my 72 Gallon Bow tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bensparky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello , :)

I have a 72 Gallon Bowfront Aquarium that i recently purchased , after the cycling process , i have decided on what fish i want to keep in the tank.

6 Platies
12 Neon Tetras
8 Glowlight Tetras
6 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Marbled Hatchetfish
1 Bristlnose Pleco

Would this be overstocking , understocking?

Suggestions would be helpful for me.

Thanks,
Bensparky

Bensparky said:
Hello , :)

I have a 72 Gallon Bowfront Aquarium that i recently purchased , after the cycling process , i have decided on what fish i want to keep in the tank.

6 Platies
12 Neon Tetras
8 Glowlight Tetras
6 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Marbled Hatchetfish
1 Bristlnose Pleco

Would this be overstocking , understocking?

Suggestions would be helpful for me.

Thanks,
Bensparky

I'm not all that great when it comes to knowing whether you are over/under stocked, but have you checked out aqadvisor.com? It's a good site to use as a general guideline of stocking and will tell you of any compatibility issues you might encounter. It's not to be trusted 100% but it's a good guideline. You plug in your tank size and what filter(s) you have and the fish you have or are planning on getting and it will tell you if your overstocked and if you have enough filtration capacity for your stock.

UNDERSTOCK!! you should add a few centerpiece fish! How bout a pair of GBR and a pair if apistogramma, along with an opaline gourami

Ya , i have all my stuff plugged in and it says:

Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Note: Marbled Hatchet may jump - lids are recommended.

Recommended temperature range: 75.2 - 77 F. [Display in Celsius]
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 12 dH.

Your aquarium filtration capacity is satisfactory.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 113%.
Recommended water change schedule: 16% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 62%. [Generate Image]

You could still add, along with what I suggested earler,
8 kuhli loaches, you loaches, or 10 corys

Your stock looks ok but I also agree with understocking tanks. Another thing is switch out the neon tetras for cardinal tetras, much healthier and hardy.

Bensparky said:
Ya , i have all my stuff plugged in and it says:

Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Note: Marbled Hatchet may jump - lids are recommended.

Recommended temperature range: 75.2 - 77 F. [Display in Celsius]
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 12 dH.

Your aquarium filtration capacity is satisfactory.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 113%.
Recommended water change schedule: 16% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 62%. [Generate Image]

I have an albino pleco and I dont have any real driftwood, I have some a fake wood and log decoration in my tank. When I had fish 4 years ago I had a common and it thrived, I never had any driftwood. Also the platy issue is up to you. If you want to have your platies have babies then you could do more females to males, if you don't want babies them I would try your best to just get I only males.

Back
Top Bottom