Need help with algae epidemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sasha

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I have a 72 gallon bow front fresh water tank. I have plants in there with eco-complete instead of gravel. There are 3 angels, 3 dwarf gouramis, a pictus cat and a shrimp living in harmony.
Recently the tank grew some sort of algae that has consumed my tank. It is starting to kill my plants. It is very sheet-like. I've been taking everything out and scrubbing it off but it comes right back. I have the light on from morning to night. Please let me know what other info will help you to help me.

Thank you.:nono:
Sasha

img_1597081_0_e27ef78e5e8ff3690229165545e3bac3.jpg

img_1597081_1_45c83303e9178ed013798779d574a90b.jpg

img_1597081_2_b6915230f5305f0ab2e6cdecf469de4e.jpg

That's called Blue-Green algae, which is actually cyanobacteria. Cyanobacteria has the ability to fix nitogen (gaseous N2), so it is able to thrive in low-nitrate environment.

Treatment:

Use Erythromycin to nuke it dead.
OR
3 Day Blackout

But you must, ABSOLUTELY must add more nitrate to your system. BGA appears because it can out compete nitrate-dependent species (plants, algaes) due to its fixation abilities. It will keep coming back.

That's called Blue-Green algae, which is actually cyanobacteria. Cyanobacteria has the ability to fix nitogen (gaseous N2), so it is able to thrive in low-nitrate environment.

Treatment:

Use Erythromycin to nuke it dead.
OR
3 Day Blackout

But you must, ABSOLUTELY must add more nitrate to your system. BGA appears because it can out compete nitrate-dependent species (plants, algaes) due to its fixation abilities. It will keep coming back.

Thank you for answering me. How do I put nitrate back into the tank? Do I still feed my fish during this process? And by blacking out the tank, do you mean to cover it with blankets so not a bit of light gets in there?

Thank you,
Sasha

Blankets I would be wary of because it would change your heat dynamics and maybe cause mold. Most blackouts are done with black plastic from trash bags, etc.

I would look up more on blackouts as I have never personally had to do one. There is a lot of information on plantedtank.net regarding this method. I would probably recommend Erythromycin or another medicated cure, but you will have to read up on that. A 10g will be cheaper to medicate that a big tank.

As for adding nitrates, I know many fertilizer brands will have nitrate. Look on the front of the bottle and their should be three numbers separated with dashes, ie 1-1-3. This stands for the N-P-K content (nitrogen-phosphate-potassium) of the fertilizer. Find one with nitrogen.

I personally add dry ferts to my tank. I add straight KNO3.

Also would like to add that erythomyacin will kill your BB if you leave it in, so include that in your planning if you take that route.

Aqua-Chem, I have a Red Slime problem in my planted tank right now. I've been reading up on it and found out that it too is a Cyanobacteria. I was wondering if you think this blackout method along with some sort of antibacterial would work for me?? thanks

Back
Top Bottom