Need help with clownfish/new setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moe14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I'm new to the saltwater hobby as well as this fourm. I am at a point where I am ready to start adding fish to my set-up. My setup is a 29gal setup, I have 29.5lbs of live rock in, a fluval 206 canister filter, and a heater, i also have another air pump for more circulation if I need it , but I don't currently have that running. I have been keeping up with the tank, cleaning and such. I have added my clean up crew to the tank as well they have been on for a little over a week now. I have tested my parameter and I have been getting the correct results, I have also taken a sample to a LFS and they say that the parameters are correct. So I added 2 clownfish, this is where I experienced my first problem they did not survive after acclamation the LFS I went to did swap them out since it was within 48 hours and I was able to get 2 new fish, this time I acclimated longer to hopefully not cause stress to them, about 1.5 hours, and they did better initially, this morning before I left for work however they did not look that good, am I not acclimating long enough, I am using the float method, with lights off adding a half cup of tank water to the bag every 15mins after initial float with bag closed. So if they are in fact dead when I get home, I don't want to keep killing fish, should I switch fish and wait till the tank is more established to add clowns and start with damsels or something else? Thank you for any help.

So, I'm new to the saltwater hobby as well as this fourm. I am at a point where I am ready to start adding fish to my set-up. My setup is a 29gal setup, I have 29.5lbs of live rock in, a fluval 206 canister filter, and a heater, i also have another air pump for more circulation if I need it , but I don't currently have that running. I have been keeping up with the tank, cleaning and such. I have added my clean up crew to the tank as well they have been on for a little over a week now. I have tested my parameter and I have been getting the correct results, I have also taken a sample to a LFS and they say that the parameters are correct. So I added 2 clownfish, this is where I experienced my first problem they did not survive after acclamation the LFS I went to did swap them out since it was within 48 hours and I was able to get 2 new fish, this time I acclimated longer to hopefully not cause stress to them, about 1.5 hours, and they did better initially, this morning before I left for work however they did not look that good, am I not acclimating long enough, I am using the float method, with lights off adding a half cup of tank water to the bag every 15mins after initial float with bag closed. So if they are in fact dead when I get home, I don't want to keep killing fish, should I switch fish and wait till the tank is more established to add clowns and start with damsels or something else? Thank you for any help.
I should add my specific gravity is about 1.024

how long has the tank been set up?
was it cycled?
The tank has been setup for 4 weeks, I used cultured live rock from a lfs as well as live sand, I believe it is cycled getting 0 ammonia when I test for that and very low nitrate levels

nitrate or nitrite
if any reading of nitrite is present your tank isn't cycled so double check that.

otherwise daily water changes will be necessary until the tank cycles correctly
this is to help keep your fish alive during a fish in cycle

if I'm reading this right your using air pumps ?
all that's going to do is give you excess salt creep on the tank

you need circulation pumps that should = 10 x the tanks volume something like this
p-72198-68874K.jpg

nitrate or nitrite
if any reading of nitrite is present your tank isn't cycled so double check that.

otherwise daily water changes will be necessary until the tank cycles correctly
this is to help keep your fish alive during a fish in cycle

if I'm reading this right your using air pumps ?
all that's going to do is give you excess salt creep on the tank

you need circulation pumps that should = 10 x the tanks volume something like this
p-72198-68874K.jpg
I will double check the nitrite levels again when I get home, when I tested last I believe it was zero. I'll also change out the air pump for something like that.

20170919_184751.jpg

Update, added a power head and did a good cleaning of the tank, and waited about a week after that, and then added 2 more clowns, and they are doing great so far now. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom