need help with gravel/sand choice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dust-off

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, I just recently got a 90 gallon tank. I removed all the old sand that was in it and want to replace it with black mixed with blue gravel. I also want to have live plants in the tank so I guess my real question is, will just gravel be fine for living plants or should I get soil as well?
another question, how many lbs of gravel am I going to need to properly fill the bottom of my 90 gallon tank? I found a good deal on 55-65 lbs... will this work?

Hi,
I personally prefer rocks. Blue and black sounds nice. I have an almost exclusively live plants aquarium and they are doing well in my rocks. Because I'm in Australia we work in kilograms and litres so I don't understand gallons. I have a 3ft tank - which is somewhere between 120 and 160 litres of water. I needed 40kg of pebbles to cover my tank adequately. I hope this helps.?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have black blasting sand in mine. I'm a newbie to plants as well. So far my plants are doing fine. I did have to anchor some to get them to stay put. I have been putting diy root tabs in for the heavy root feeders.

For my 55 gallon, I used 1, 50 lb bag. I don't know how deep the substrate is suppose to be, but 1 was sufficient for me. I would have liked to have a little bit more.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416603200.003432.jpg

Hope this helps.
:)

May the force be with you.

Nice looking tank, be better when the plants are bigger have you got it as a room divider?

yes nice looking tank u got there. I put about 80 lbs of pebbles and it seems to be ok... my woman wanted some pink and purple in with them so I have black, blue, pink,purple and white... it looks ok still.

thanks everyone for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom