Need help with lighting upgrade.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumlit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

I recently got hooked into aquarium hobby after reading and watching some videos on youtube, and am currently in the process of researching all the equipment i'll need to begin my very own aquarium.
I have a 32 inch long stand, so i was looking into getting a 36 gallon bowfront tank to place it there.
The problem is, i've reading that the stock light that comes with that aquarium is not adequate for plants, and since i know very little of aquarium peripherals, i need some advice.
Looking for something not too expensive and not too complicated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the planted world :)

I think a 2x24w T5HO fixture would suit your needs just dandy. Wouldn't be high enough to require co2, but would let you grow a lot of plants. Something like this would be cheap, but great. I have 4 of those fixtures and love them.

Wow thanks for the quick reply! I like your suggestion, cheap and very nice looking.
Now, do i need to replace the whole top of the tank? or would this lighting fit where the old one goes?

You'd need to take the whole plastic (assuming?) hood assembly off. You can put a glass top on there, or just leave it open top. I dont have tops on any of my tanks, it's much easier that way.

Welcome to the planted world :)

I think a 2x24w T5HO fixture would suit your needs just dandy. Wouldn't be high enough to require co2, but would let you grow a lot of plants. Something like this would be cheap, but great. I have 4 of those fixtures and love them.

Sumlit isn't the only one who's going to thank you! The 48" T5HO may be the fixture I'm looking for. My Single 32 watt 6700K bulb in my 75 just isn't going to grow anything. And the price is reasonable!

Thanks for the reply.

Now looking at the purchasing options, which color bulbs should i get? and if white, which color temp would be the best option.
Thanks again for the advice.

sumlit said:
Thanks for the reply.

Now looking at the purchasing options, which color bulbs should i get? and if white, which color temp would be the best option.
Thanks again for the advice.

67k is generally considered the best for plants.
And it depends on what plants you want to grow for what bulbs you wants.
Plantgeek.net is good resource for finding plants based opn light ranges.
I keep my aquariums between 2 and 3 watts per gallon for low light plants.

Depending on the bowfront model/type it may already have a PC fixture on it, I know mine does.

Fishneedit is good, as well as AH supply if you don't mind going with a pc retrofit.

Catalina has high quality fixtures also, and usually something on sale/special .
Specials Catalina Aquarium

Or if you are on a budget
36" T5 HO Aquarium Light Strip Hood 78W Plant 6500K | eBay

They usually have one listed for a 24" also but I didn't see it right off hand, there are some others listed on there as well, that's just a general idea of a decent fixture for half the price of the high end ones.

And if you are trying to figure out what kind/how much lighting you need for your plans, this chart provides actual tested readings from different fixture types to give you a better idea
PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - Updated Charts

I'd stay away from the WPG idea, it's really inaccurate and outdated.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what are PC fixtures?

Looking at the catalinaaquariums, those fixtures look like they could be the same size as the original lighting fixtures the tank brings, so i could just replace the fixtures and keep the original canopy, am i wrong?

Regarding plants, nothing too fancy. I definitely don't want to bite more than i can chew. Some low light, low maintenance plants will do. Anubis, amazon swords, that kind of thing.

pc is power compact, it's just another bulb type.

If you are planning on keeping it low tech, shoot for low to medium on that chart I linked. One thing that the chart assumes is that you have a decent reflector on the fixture, so if you go with a cheaper model, like the cheap ebay ones, then you can get away with more wattage since it's not being reflected as well.

For your tank a single t5ho, dual t5nos, or a cheap branded (i.e. poorly made reflector) dual t5ho fixture would be plenty and keep you right on the borderline of needing co2 but still being manageable if you decide not to.

I like the Catalinaaquarium 30" fixtures. They look like they could fit exactly where the standard lighting that comes with the tank.
Only thing, bulbs are 10k. Whereas in fishneedit, i can choose 6.5k bulbs, but i would have to take off the original canopy.
Another question, these fixtures come with 1 white light and 1 blue light. What are blue lights for?
And thanks for taking the time to educate me.

Pretty sure that you can select the type of bulbs you want in the comments section. I know you can with the other fixtures, its in the description. They build them just like FNI does.

The blue light is an actinic bulb, its for SW, it doesn't serve much purpose in a FW planted tank apart from looks.

Thanks a lot. I learned something today.
Now i can cross one more thing from my parts list. Next stop, find the money! hehe
Appreciate all the help, really. You'll see me here again when i have everything set up and start to run into problems.

sumlit said:
Thanks a lot. I learned something today.
Now i can cross one more thing from my parts list. Next stop, find the money! hehe
Appreciate all the help, really. You'll see me here again when i have everything set up and start to run into problems.

We expect pictures! Good luck!

Just an idea from a recent eureka moment. I have a 29 gallon that takes 20" flourescent lamps (bulbs) and the normal 3500k wasn't very good. I recently setup a vivarium that came with 20" reptiglo 5.0 lamps (I use 18" on my viv) and I threw them in for a try and they produce way nicer light, brighter light and should by rights support plant growth. They are designed for plant growth in the terrarium. In canada they run 20 bucks, may be a cheaper alternative to a new canopy.

Back
Top Bottom