Need Help with odd situation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayjayhooks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
TLDR near bottom.

Hi guys, I've been keeping fish for about 6 years, but have no experience with community tanks. I bought myself a half dozen piranha when I first got into fish keeping and made all my mistakes years ago when it comes to water parameters. Luckily my fish didn't suffer too badly, but sadly I did lose them recently when my power went out for a week due to an ice storm.

From time to time I would stock the tank with a couple dozen White Cloud Mountain Minnows (after quarantine, of course) and it was a nice treat for my carnivorous fish and myself as there was plenty of hiding places for the minnows and they would get eaten slowly over a month or so, adding a little extra movement to my species tank and a little exercise and excitement for my piranhas.

Anywho, I now have an odd situation because after the Piranhas passed I still had a pair of WCMM in the tank who went on to breed and now I have somewhere between 40 and 50 of them living in a tank at roughly 78 degrees F. I know they are a cool water fish, which is what allowed them to survive the extreme cold when my power was out, but they seem to be thriving in this warm water so I haven't adjusted it from when the Piranha died.

Now I want to start a community tank as I believe that I made a poor choice with piranhas in the beginning because there was rarely much movement in the tank. This was probably due to the fact that 75G isn't really enough space for a half dozen adult piranha. Either way, I want to do things right this time and get all my research in first. (I was a teenager when I first got my piranha and made my mistakes)

So after that long winded explanation, my main inquiry is in whether or not this shoal of WCMM can be kept alongside a male Betta. I've read mixed feelings on the situation. It seems like some people have had success keeping the two breeds together even in tanks considerably smaller than my 75, but I never read anywhere in the responses about what temperatures these fish are being kept at. I've read that Betta should be kept around 80F and WCMM at 70F. Since my shoal is already acclimatized to 78F (they were born and raised in it), is it likely to be a good mix?

Secondary question, I also plan on getting a school of about 6 corydora. This would give me plenty of top action with the minnows, plenty of bottom action with the cats, and a nice colourful centerpiece in the male Betta. Does anyone see any potential problems with this?

Other considerations would be Cherry shrimp, and a pair of Dwarf Plecos to go along with the 3 breeds listed above.

TLDR;
Can 40 White Cloud Minnows be kept with a single male betta, and 6 Corydora at 78 Degrees F in a 75 Gallon Tank. And if so, are dwarf plecos and/or cherry shrimp able to fit in the equation as well?

I think it probably could be done. Betta's some times don't like large shoals, but seem to do fine with small ones, so it could work. The other thing to look out for is fin nipping. WCMM are peaceful, but still energetic so you might be careful that they don't harass your betta. Have you ever considered doing a cool water tank? Maybe a set of goldfish as your centerpiece fish? Though common they are very striking in coloration and relaxing to watch. Just an idea to throw out there.

Thanks Mae,

I had never considered goldfish, but I will be looking into them now, they would solve the temperature problem, and if I can find one I like in terms of looks this is definitely something to consider. Any breeds to recommend? Specifically anything that tends to stay around mid tank, since WCMM are top swimmers and Corydora are bottoms....

I really do love the looks of the bright blue Bettas though. And I don't think I really need the shrimp, the corydoras should give me enough action on the bottom.

I'm thinking in a 75gal, the betta will be fine. They typically get testy when they feel crowded. The White Clouds will get the hint when a fully flaring male betta comes charging at them saying this is my space. I would say you would be crampt in a 55gal, but not in a 75gal. As for the corys, no problem, you could go with more like 12. The shrimp, will not be too endangered as long as you have aquascape on the bottom. I'd add a few standing fake or real plants, some driftwood and a couple blobs of java moss. One or two flat garden stone piles would be nice as well.

Best of luck and I think you will like your new tank inhabitants much better than the old.

Back
Top Bottom