Need Help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, need help as I'm a little frustrated. My wife felt we needed a larger tank for a goldfish that we were told could actually outlive us. He's about 5" long or so, and had a 10 gallon aquarium. So we purchased a topfin 37 "kit" from petsmart. I know, that was first mistake right. We used to have a bio wheel 100 on the 10g and you could barely hear it, so the filter was driving us nuts and the cheap hood. Took care of the filter to an aquaclear after doing some research hear and other forums for quiet filters. It's not exactly silent as I've heard but much better. The media routine seems more complex than other filter options.

The hood never fit on top, bowed, and didn't really fit new filter so I buy a filter that I measure carefully to make sure with would fit in lip, and the brace in the middle is in the way.

The hood is a 30x12 perfecta that seems to set in the lip perfect along front and side but will wobble across the brace in middle. Is there a fix for this? Is this brace really needed on 37? It actually bends down a bit, so doesn't seem to be bracing against bowing.

In researching this new issue, I found some horror stories of 37 topfins springing leaks and blowing apart. Is this a real risk? I assume because of this, the question about clipping the brace is dumb.

If these tanks are not real good, is there a good size well made tank that this hood I just spent 50 bucks on would fit? I would take it back, but clipped the segments on back for the hob filter before realizing it wouldn't clear the center brace. Plus, it's still better than the bowed flimsy 1 piece that doesn't have a door on front.

Thanks for any help. :)

I doubt that there is anything wrong with your equipment. The 37 is just a really tall 29g tank, same footprint.

The problem is, because it is so tall it has a center brace which is going to make it difficult to find accessories. You should not remove the brace. A tank that tall probably needs it unless you reinforce it some other way.

That being said, I don't think any standard hood will fit it.

Edit, your hood should a fit a standard 29g or a 20l tank if it is 30x12.

Back
Top Bottom