need ID on critters on rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfgiantfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have noticed two of these guys on two separate rocks. They are translucent white and phallic looking. They send out long, hairlike strands that I think they use to feed, but if they have stinging capabilities, it worries me. Anyone know what they are and if I can remove them manually without propagating them?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110824_121439.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110824_121439.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 162
  • ForumRunner_20110824_121548.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110824_121548.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 153
I've got some of those, too.

These guys don't have any "fan" part. Only a long, mucus-like string that they send out. When floating particles attach to the line, which is sometimes about 8" long, they reel it back in to the tube. Then the pieces it doesn't like, such as sand, are expelled back out. If I pass something like a chop stick through the mucus line, it easily breaks.

They strands are kind of annoying and unsightly, so I'd like to get rid of the critters without making the problem worse.

That's it. Thanks. I didn't know some snails are sessile. I found a really good picture and removal info for vermetid snails if anyone else has them.

I had dropped some flakes into my tank recently and was watching a piece to see where it would end up if not eaten (I really did have a reason for this).... Anyway, it landed on a piece of live rock & as I was watching it two strings from opposite sides attached to the flake. I couldn't believe it but it actually looked like those little worms were fighting over the flake food! They played tug of war over the flake for a few minutes until one of them won and sucked that rather large flake down in his tube!!!! It was pretty interesting!

Back
Top Bottom