Need Nano Tank advice for freshwater shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vo1umeone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I am new on this forum, but I have had many aquarium setups in the past. Unfortunately, I have been moving around so much in the last couple of years that I ended up having to part with my tanks. But now I am looking at starting a nano cherry shrimp tank, which is a setup I've been dreaming to start for a few years now. :-o

My main reason for coming here is to get some feedback for a nice shrimp tank. The smallest tank I have is a 5.5 gal glass tank that I could use, but I'd really like to get a slicker, more modern looking nano tank. I'm currently looking at getting the Fluval Nano Flora Aquatic Plant Kit or the Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit, and I'm also a BIG fan of the Fluval Edge Aquarium Kit. I would really like to hear what you guys think about these tanks, while keeping these two things in mind:

- I would like to be doing a mini hardscape with a lot of ground cover plants which tend to have high light requirements. How good is the lighting with these tanks (if at all), and are the bulbs easy to be replaced with stronger ones. Are the bulbs easy to access and replace? Would I have to special order new bulbs because the aquarium store doesn't sell them?

- How strong are the filters? I don't want little shrimps getting pushed around by a strong current. I really like that these tanks have built in hidden filters, because those bubble charcoal filters are so bulky and tacky.

I look forward to hearing what you guys think of these! I'd appreciate any tips for shrimp too, as this will be my first time owning them. I'm excited because my boyfriend has a massive chunk of algae growing in his wet/dry filter in a 70 gal that I'm going to put in the shrimp tank to help get it established. It's probably unhealthy to get this excited about algae, but if anyone would get it, it would be people on aquarium forums. :)

Hello, I have a fluval Spec and a Edge 12g. The lighting is not good on either if you want to grow anything but low light plants. As far as the Edge goes the bulbs are built in leds. The filter is just an Aquaclear 20. The spec I have is the smaller 1 or so gallon size. That filter is not bad and the light seems adjustable. My cats already broke the plastic lid it comes with. I've been looking at the flora kit. Have you seen their shrimp kit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The kits won't have high light.

BUT if you are new to high light, do your research. You'll need injected CO2 for high light or you'll grow algae.

I wouldn't cycle with Algae, I'd squeeze his used media into your filter.

You don't want Algae other than Moss Balls in a Planted tank [emoji6]

You can look at DSM ( dry start method ) if you want a carpet. Google it.

My 10g shrimp jungle
http://youtu.be/2dxCfQK6jBg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Fluval Edge 6 Gallon with around 50 Red Cherry Shrimp (babies and adults) i think its a good tank but the lighting isn't that great

Fish_Fan

Fluval edge is very hard to aquascape with because of the tiny opening at the top. Once you add something it'd be really hard to take it out again unless you have tiny hands. The light isn't great and the filter is overkill for shrimp. I'd go with the fluval spec or flora. Haven't used them before but they are better for aquascaping with. You could grow some nice moss bonsai trees under low light with some anubias. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fortunately I do have tiny hands! I'm really happy with the set up. I set one of my old 5 gal light hoods on top of the tank with better bulbs in it for the plants. All that's left is to get the co2 setup working (all I still need is the regulator piece), let the tank finish cycling, and add the shrimpies!
A4QGv14.jpghttp:

Back
Top Bottom