Need protein skimmer advice for my setup...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeridJohnson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I need some advice.. I have been researching protein skimmers and would like to get a HOB like the Aqua C Remora Pro but I dont know if it will work with my SeaClear System II 50 gal tank.. Can I hang the skimmer on the back of the tank and let it pull and drain into the rear area of my tank where the system II filter is? I dont see any way to get the exiting water from the skimmer back into the main tank area without major modifications. I currently only have a sponge in front of the system II pump and the bioballs. I would like to start out with a FOWLR tank and move up to a reef later..

Also, I have canister filter running which I would like to remove.. Will the protien skimmer keep the tank clear or should I add media to the system II filter once the canister is gone?

Here is a pic
fromside.jpg

Please help.. thanks.
Jerid

You could definatly ditch the canister filter. You could fit a HOB skimmer into that back area no problem as far as I can tell from the pic. You could also get a small hagen aqua clear HOB filter to run media. I just started running AC full time and have been very impressed by it so far. Can you get a close up picture of that back area?

To me it looks like you only have about a 3” clearance in back of that tank. Without draining it and pulling it off the wall more you are somewhat limited to what skimmers will fit behind the tank. The Prizm Deluxe Skimmer is a decent skimmer for a 50 gal and should fit.

You want the skimmer to pull and drain from the back of your in tank sump as that is were it will get the best skimming action because it’s collecting the docs from the surface.

I assume your in tank sump has a pump which is how the water will be transferred back to the main tank.

Also unless your canister is excessively loud I wouldn’t get rid of it. Just get rid of any filter media inside to keep no3 at bay (ie: balls/sponge) and use it to circulate the water. Much better than an ugly PH in the tank IMO. Plus if you need to run carbon or other media to keep your tank clean a canister filter will be much easier to deal with.

Looking at the AquaC Remora it is less than 3" thick which is one of the attractive features.. I dont mind pulling the tank away from the wall if needed. I am going to call AquaC today and see what they say.

The tank sump does have a pump wich pushes the water from the sump back into the main tank.

My canister is a bit loud.. I think the impeller might be messed up as it has a bit of a rattle.

Im not sure I have a problem with adding a PH for water movement.. Having the canister tubes is causing me other problems with my overflow gate as I can not move it as high as I would like.

Most canisters are whisper quite, I’d replace the impeller (usually under $15) and see if that helps. I see what you are talking about with the tubes though, that lid couldn’t be any tighter! Do you have ph or oxygen problems at all? The bio-balls can be excessive no3 factories and personally I’d replace them with lr rubble.

You’re right about the AquaC Remora being 2.75” in width. I forgot about that. It is the better skimmer by most accounts.

Back
Top Bottom