Need quick water advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlopNewsom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Saturday we upgraded from a 75 gal to a used 210 w a 75 gal sump. We (the lfs that we hired) did a direct swap using the sand from the original tank and the used tank (it was set up and running at the guy's house) and the water from my tank. I tested water morning and evening but didn't test Thursday because it was always within normal perimeters. I tested today when I got home and my nitrates are literally off the chart. I had 20 gal of water made up and I changed that much immediately but with such a big tank it really didn't affect it. I'm currently making more water but it is a slow process and I'm a little freaked out. My tap water tests ok with phosphates at 5. Should I use tap water just in this instance to get enough water to get my nitrates on down?

I think when you used the old sand from both tanks you stirred it all up releasing all those nitrates that were trapped.

Yes, I'm sure that's what it was. I just thought that if it was going to show up it would have done it pretty quickly. WRONG!

Yeah, if the lfs set this tank up and used the old sand and you didn't tell them to I would make them fix it because they should know better then using sand from an established tank. It will always cause problems using sand unless it gets washed out incredibly well.

Yeah but right now I need to get those nitrates down. I just don't know which is the lesser of the evils. If I use ro water then I'm not going to be able to change but 25gal a day. If I use some treated tap I can change about 50 gal...

I wouldn't add any tap water because you will pay for it later. I the algae issues you will run into later won't be worth it IMO. I would go to Walmart or something and get the or water there. You could buy like 50 gallons. It will be cheaper then buying other things for algae control and parameter issues.

Back
Top Bottom