Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brizo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got my API freshwater master kit

Ph was off the charts?

Ammonia: .50 ppm

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5.0

I have a polleni cichlid, delhezi bichir and a fire eel. All juvi's. 55 gallon

Looking for some natural ways too get my ph too 7.0

I don't really want too use chemicals and I have a piece of driftwood (wouldn't mind adding more)

What do you mean by off the charts? Did you test with the high pH test? As long as your pH is between about 6.5-8.5 it's fine for most fish to adapt to as long as it's stable. Most fish except a few very demanding species, can do well in higher pH. Stability is the most important factor. If you are determined to lower it, peat moss in your filter is one way.

Tested it again it was really blue the first time but the second time I think it was at 7.6 but it looked bluer

If it's 7.6 on the regular, then you should test with the high pH test. If that test is at the low end, then 7.6 is you pH. But it may be higher. Many people here successfully keep fish at pH in the mid 8 range, me included. It just depends on what you're trying to do, whether or not you need to alter the pH. Breeding? Keeping discus? Those are some reasons. Depending on what your goals are, you may even want to use RO water.

That's not good I've recently looked up the 3's pH tolerance an the bichir caps at 8, fire eel caps at 7.5 an the polleni at 8 also

Most of the guidelines you read online are for optimal conditions that allow breeding. But fish are adaptable. I keep angelfish in 8.3. If you look them up, many sites say they need 7pH. But they are healthy. Some folks have even gotten them to spawn in higher pH. Not trying to change your mind. Just be aware that there are no hard and fast rules. Trying to make your water conform to a number can be a real hassle, and in most cases is unnecessary. Swings in pH are harder on fish than stable higher pH. But peat moss is a way to lower it that is safer than chemicals.

Just makes me nervous because I really like each one and will do everything in my power too give them the best possible conditions. But have also heard like you said it can be damaging too mess with the pH.

That's great you care about their needs. Just don't get too hung up on numbers. If they look and act healthy, they probably are.

I also have angels and silverdollars in a ph of 8.2 and no problems. 2 angels are cleaning a rock as I type this to lay eggs. I think you will be just fine. Remember if you change the ph it will go up for a bit when u do water changes unless you can match the new water with the old.

Back
Top Bottom