Need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello I have a 29 gallon freshwater, but would someday like it to be a saltwater, I don't know ANYTHING about salt water, so I need to know what type of filter to get and all that, and I heard there was this special thing I need in a saltwater tank. I need a price range to set it up too
I want some options of fish too if possible
Thanks

Depending if you want fish only or corals. It can be fairly cheap to get started for fish only. You'll need about 20lbs of live sand. About 30-40lbs of dry base rock(cheaper) or cured live rock. A heater, a powerhead or two, I would recommend a protein skimmer that hangs on the back rated for 50 gallons if its in the budget, your regular lights will work for fish only but corals require much more light and the fixtures can get quite expensive. Other than that the tank is basically filtered by the bacteria that will build in the rock, you can always add a hang on filter or canister just know saltwater requires a lot more flow so get one rated at 50-70 gallons. A saltwater tank needs to be completely set up and running for at least 6 weeks before adding anything. You'll also need some test kits. I used the API master saltwater test kit before I went with to a reef tank. This is my opinion in how to start on a budget. I've never started a nano tank so I'm not sure on a dollar amount to give you but good luck and someone else will chime in to guide you farther. Any questions just ask

Wow thanks!

By power head you mean those connected to tubes connected to a pump right?
And what is a protein skimmer?
So no filter cool!
I do want coral how do I get that started

Wow thanks!

By power head you mean those connected to tubes connected to a pump right?
And what is a protein skimmer?
So no filter cool!
I do want coral how do I get that started

A protein skimmer will pull out poop, unbeaten food, waste, etc. and is required for a reef system. You'll need lights capable of growing corals. So either a 6bulb T5 fixture, metal halide, or a taotronics led fixture would be my recommendation then you don't have to worry about heat or bulb replacement and you'll like never have to upgrade. And no hoses on the powerheads. Look at the koralia pumps, I use them and they work really well. Depending on what coral you want you can save money here and there but for the money of a taotronics led fixture I'd just get one now and then your possibilities are almost endless. Also anemones require god lighting too so if that was in your desires you'll need a good fixture. I like to Look for about 10-15 time turn over rate when i buy powerheads so for 30 gallons I'd look for a koralia that turns about 300-400 gph. In my 180 gallon I have 7500 gph of pumps running and everything is thriving well

A skimmer will remove some of the organic matter in your tank such as poop etc.. but you still need to do your water changes on a solid schedule. I ran my 29g reef for several months with no skimmer and just regular water changes and it did so well I ended up having to upgrade to a 55g. In my opinion, anything less than say 40g doesnt really "need" a skimmer but it certainly is nice to have. :)
I assume you are going without a sump and gonna use hang on equipment? If so there are a few options for a small footprint skimmer but the pickings are a little slim. lol I like and have used the aqua c remora, I'd say about $150 for the nano version. I just got a full size remora off ebay for $80 incl shipping so you might wanna check ebay out if you are on a budget.

I run an aquaticlife skimmer in my 29g biocube, they are like $60 new and $40 used. Pulls out some good sludge and its tiny. Just takes awhile to get it tuned in right.

Back
Top Bottom