need some help on some decisions for my 88 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if i was too suggest a tank, i would prob do what logansmomma said, a full community tank.... put some danios, tetras, couple of Bolivian Rams and other different kinds of rams, some apistos, a couple of female fighting fish or just 1 male fighting fish =] cories ofcourse and later some otos, shrimp... the list can go on and on ^_^

or you can do a predator tank !!!! 1 or 2 oscars would be nice =]

I just want to chime in on the stocking, and say that I love community tanks, especially for planting possibilities. It's not impossible with 88-gal size African cichlids, but it's hard to imagine it working out with the common plant species I can think of. With smaller South Americans it is definitely plantable to full effect (which I would recommend doing at least some planting of stem plants - pretty easy, stick 'em in and put some chemical once a week after your water change - with those lights). But larger South American cichlids also impede planting.

That said, African cichlids of the size you could keep display incredible color and breeding display. I would suggest you really check out Mbuna and see if it's something you would want. They might be the most bang-per tank as far as color and behavior.That said, I would try to downgrade the lighting for them.

But the stock is the important part :)

If you go with a community tank, I would check out Swordtails, The Swordtail Fish. Those actually might work with the t5 lights, if you can get the kind of algae they like to eat. Then you wouldn't really have to plant. But these are fish that keep a harem, and reproduce readily.

Or with smaller fish, I would check out: silver hatchet fish, celestial pearl danios (or Danio margaritatu), tetras of all kinds (some are quite colorful, some display interesting behavior, but not very interesting breeders), cory cats, loaches (such as Yoyo loaches, and kuhli loaches), and small-medium plecos. Those are just some ones I personally like.

I also will mention barbs. Some are small (like Tiger Barbs) but display very active, school yard-punkish behavior. Others (like gold barbs) are small but peaceful (in general). Dennison's Barbs are cool and pretty, but expensive. All of them are active, almost exclusively schoolers, and many are gorgeous - checkered barbs, 5 banded barbs, and Odessa Barbs (so colorful!) especially.

Anyways, I hope this gave you some ideas :)

thank you every1 for your comments! you all seem very helpful and nice :)this is my problem though i like the mbuna alot but they seem to be hard for me to find and 1 place i know that does do them is pets at home and they are listed as assorted so they are propley just some half species or somthing and they are all i can have in my tank but becuase of the bright colours it could be nice just all so confusing but i will defo make my mind up soon,as for the filters here in england we have the same filters as you lot but i have no idea which is a good 1 becuase ive always used cainster so some names would be good,as for the pool filter sand im now looking where i can possibly find some,as for plants a few months ago i started a 25 gallon planted tank with only 1 pleco with a matter of weeks everything have grown stupid amounts i was checking the internet wondering why they had grown so much and i couldnt find any answers i had a amazon sword with 15 leafs and a stem play which was about 2 inchs when i got it after a few weeks it had doubled the height of my tank it was huge but it couldnt hold it self up but i threw them out because i fort i had made my mind to get mbuna but now im not 100%,also how fast are plecos ment to grow because i have 2 which i have had for 3-4 months and they where both 1 and half inchs now 1 is 8-9 inch and the other 6-7 inch ive kept plecos but never grown this fast ha xD thank you in advance :D sorry for the long sort of story :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom