Need Some Help with "New" Tank Water Paramaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick_A

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, I have a "new" tank that has been set up. I say "new" because it is an old tank that I had to take down due to a move. Finally getting it back up and running but apparently my tap water is not equal.

My problem is I have been cycling the aquarium for the past 2 weeks. I didn't have a test kit at the time because my old one expired. I got some plants to start and picked up a new test kit at the same time.

This is a 55 gallon tank with Malaysian driftwood (2 large pieces, and 2 medium pieces) that were already well seasoned from my last tank but completely dried out. I added my plants then broke out my test kit.

I expected my ammonia to be high (2 ppm) and pH to be low (6.0 or lower) due to the driftwood so I commenced with attempting to regulate the tank. Nitrite at 0 ppm and Nitrate around 40 ppm.

After a single water change to attempt to raise the pH it did not work. So I broke out the bucket and aerator and waited about 48 hours after filling it with tap water.

Problem....

My pH from the tap is 6.0 or lower. I do not have a kH test kit. No ammonia or nitrite with nitrate around 20 ppm.

I have never dealt with tap water that had a pH of 6 or lower so I am unsure what to do. I want to leave the ammonia levels to start growing bacteria but now that I know my pH can't be raised from water changes I am not sure what to do. I really don't know what I am going to have to do when it comes time for a water change with fish in.

I was considering the seashell method to assist in regulating but I don't like the look. I have 8 slots for media cartridges and was going to add some crushed coral to 1 or 2 of the media cartridges. If there are any better ways to raise my pH let me know but I do not want to add any rock.

More importantly, what do I do when it comes time for a water change when fish are in? Now that I know adding tap water will actually (probably) lower my pH I am very confused in my action plan.

Also, are the poor plants (Java Fern, Anacharis, Water Wisteria, Cryptocoryne Wendtii) going to be ok with these water conditions? (pH 6.0, Ammonia 1.0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate 40 ppm).
Help? Thanks.

Add baking soda to your tank until the pH is up around 8.0. Your tank will cycle much more effectively up there than around 6. What I would do is aliquot out a cup or two of tank water, dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in it, add the water back to the tank, wait 10 min, and then test the pH. Repeat until the pH is 8-ish. When you're done cycling, do a 90% or so water change.

Without knowing the KH, I suspect that your water is soft and has a relatively low carbonate content. (Though you should test the KH to be sure.) If that is the case, you'll have to add either baking soda or one of the commercially available buffers to your tank regularly (i.e., during water changes) to maintain buffering capacity. You don't want your tank pH to drop much below 6.0, as your beneficial bacteria will begin to go dormant and you'll get an ammonia spike, which is bad news.

So what should I do when doing a water change? With my tap water being somewhere around 6 wouldn't that ultimately just drop the pH again furine every water change?

You'll have to add something to buffer the pH every time you do a WC.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry, I guess I just misread when you posted that the first time. Is there something that would be recommended? I read baking soda wasn't safe for aquariums with fish in them? Either way, I assume I add this to the water I am putting into the tank. What level should I make the replacement water?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pure baking soda (no additives) is completely fine for fish.

You'll have to work out the details of how much to add on your own. Too many variables for me to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright, so an update.

I raised the PH to 7.4 using baking soda.

My Crypto melted a little and my Anacharis is beginning to wilt.

My water is looking a little better.

PH has dropped from 7.4 to 6.6 since the 5th. (Seems like a fast drop)

Ammonia has dropped to .25 ppm

Nitrites are up at 5.0 PPM or higher

Nitrates are at about 80 PPM

It looks like I am finally heading in the correct direction.

Back
Top Bottom