Need some input on my 55 and stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rigg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I got this tank at a yard sale for $25 with the stand. For that price, I couldn't pass it up.

The tank holds water. (filled it and let it sit in the garage for 48 hours) But it's got issues with the top rim and brace. The brace is cracked, but not all the way through, and one side of the rim was melted by a heat lamp. (Guy that sold it to me had a reptile in it.

The issue with the stand is it's missing a piece on the bottom of one of the sides. I don't know if that should be replaced or if it would be fine without it. The stand has some damage to it in general. It looks as if someone had a saltwater setup in the tank, and they had some insane salt creep, or a pretty bad leak in the stand. There were salt deposits all over on the bottom, and some water damage. The stand seems sturdy, but I can't decide if I want to risk it, or just build a new one.

When you had the tank set up with water was the water cold or did you have a heater. Warm water loosens silicone so it might have a small leak especially if there was a lot of salt deposit

With the stand. You have to think that water is about 8 lbs per gallon and that's 55 gallons so your looking at 440lbs plus tank weight and decor so your looking at close to 600 lbs on that stand. If its got bad water damage already I would look at a new one either home built or store bought IMO

The water was warm when I filled it. I filled it from my kitchen sink with a hose, so I had both hot and cold on to fill it faster. Thermometer on the tank read 85 when I filled it, and held that temp for about an hour before it started dropping. I don't have a heater currently, since I'm still deciding on how to set it up, and waiting for the extra cash to throw at it.

I was thinking the same about the stand, but wanted some more opinions. I have a pile of cinder blocks behind my garage I could use for a stand and some wood in the garage. (Somewhere. lol)

Back
Top Bottom