Need to know about moss balls...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
My sister is suggesting I get one, but she has 4 goldfish in a 5 gallon uncovered tank that she cleans once every 6 weeks. Nuf said.

In quick reading I have found:
Moss balls are algae
They are different than java moss
They help with co2 and produce oxygen
They help with algae problems because they use the same food source
Plecos don't eat them
They need to be rotated to keep their shape

So, what else do I need to know before considering putting one in? One person I talked to said they raise PH. The moss ball does keep my sisters tank cleaner than before, and that is saying something.

I have a 20g fresh tank with a double bright marineland LED light. Weekly water changes, nitrate less than 10. No algae problems. Do I really need a moss ball other than for aesthetics?

I also have a 3g betta tank. What about a moss ball in there?

Just checking out these moss ball things to see if I want one. Thanks for any and all info, or links to good info and pictures.

You about summed it up, with your water parameters, they'd be more for aesthetics. If you had algae eating shrimp, Moss balls could be beneficial ..apparently they love Marimo Moss balls.

You about summed it up, with your water parameters, they'd be more for aesthetics. If you had algae eating shrimp, Moss balls could be beneficial ..apparently they love Marimo Moss balls.

Shrimp and Malaysian Trumpet Snails both adore these balls. I just recently purchased one (about the size of a softball) when setting up my RCS and CBS tank. I have not rotated mine but it has only been in there a week. They add an interesting shape to the planted aquarium.

twoodrough said:
My sister is suggesting I get one, but she has 4 goldfish in a 5 gallon uncovered tank that she cleans once every 6 weeks. Nuf said.

In quick reading I have found:
Moss balls are algae
They are different than java moss
They help with co2 and produce oxygen
They help with algae problems because they use the same food source
Plecos don't eat them
They need to be rotated to keep their shape

So, what else do I need to know before considering putting one in? One person I talked to said they raise PH. The moss ball does keep my sisters tank cleaner than before, and that is saying something.

I have a 20g fresh tank with a double bright marineland LED light. Weekly water changes, nitrate less than 10. No algae problems. Do I really need a moss ball other than for aesthetics?

I also have a 3g betta tank. What about a moss ball in there?

Just checking out these moss ball things to see if I want one. Thanks for any and all info, or links to good info and pictures.

I bet your betta would like one. They are really cool I like mine.

Back
Top Bottom