Neo common name list???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there such a thing as list of commonly used names for the varieties of neo shrimp since my lfs can rarely tell me the latin name and as I don't *fuss* with my shrimp tank cardinia will not last in it & at $8+ a shrimp I would prefer not to waste money.
**sidebar** you have no idea how I envy those of you that have access to inexpensive shrimp - only thing available locally under $8 are cherry, and while online prices are awesome by the time I add min $35 shipping costs these prices are climbing out of reach too?

Is there such a thing as list of commonly used names for the varieties of neo shrimp since my lfs can rarely tell me the latin name and as I don't *fuss* with my shrimp tank cardinia will not last in it & at $8+ a shrimp I would prefer not to waste money.
**sidebar** you have no idea how I envy those of you that have access to inexpensive shrimp - only thing available locally under $8 are cherry, and while online prices are awesome by the time I add min $35 shipping costs these prices are climbing out of reach too?
Where are you from? How come neocaridinas are so expensive. They are cheap and breed like crazy.

Often I have found the lfs manager has very little knowledge about dwarf shrimp.

There are just a few basics about the names.

As for common names frequently I am told from more than one type of source, online store, independent lfs and even big box fish store, that the shrimp vendors call shrimp by all sorts of names, and then when they arrive they may not even be the kind of shrimp they actually ordered.

I would start looking by generic dwarf shrimp - neocaridina

Notate the common names of the shrimp you like, take list to the store and see if any match the ordering /vendor options.

There are commonly used names like Blue Velvet/ Deep Blue Velvet, Blue Dreams, Red / Carbon / Black / blue /orange / yellow Rili, Painted Red Fire aka PFR, Sakura Red /Orange /Yellow, Chocolate, Black Rose, Snowball, Yellow.

Where are you from? How come neocaridinas are so expensive. They are cheap and breed like crazy.
Northern Ontario Canada
*if* I can find shrimp at all without driving 2 hours one way I consider myself lucky which is why if I find them I want to have a decent chance of telling if they are neocardinia or cardinia by their *posted* name as that may be all the store can tell me

Autumnsky
Are all of those names used for "neos" because I wasn't positive

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to:
shrimpfever.com
Click the green shrimp link on the top menu bar
On the left hand side there will be filter options, select "Neocaridinas Only"

there is your common name list with pictures ;)
same goes for caridina, just click the Caridina Shrimp Only link

Edit: That is a Canadian site, Tommy is his the guy who runs it, great guy. Yes shipping is expensive, but shrimp don't ship well (especially after 40cm's of snow an -20 degrees C) so it needs to be fast and accurate.

I understand the whys of shipping just wish it didn't make shrimp such an expensive commodity

Ideal if you could find someone locally.

Maybe you could check with a regional Aquarium Club or FB if there happen to be any hobbyists anywhere near you.

AutumnSky mentioned you almost all Neocaridina species common names. I like to call by there common names as well instead of scientific names.

I live in UAE. AL Ain City. usually cherry shrimp is sold as 5 dollar a piece. Other variations like blue velvet and others aren't expensive as well. Like 7 dollars a piece. But here not many shops and usually they have cherry shrimps mostly. I never seen blue velvets or others. Glad I found one very expert shrimp keeper and breeder in Dubai who has all kinds of shrimps so I order from him and he deliveres to my door step.

Back
Top Bottom